We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to NYC under age 18

UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to NYC under age 18

Hi, I'm age 16 and I would like to visit NYC for 1-2 weeks. My parents both work full time with very little time off and could not come. Would I encounter any problems if I was to visit NYC? Would I not be allowed to stay in a hotel, etc. I can pay for it all myself, so this is not a problem.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

Most hotels are 21+, some are 18+. Cannot see that a legitimate hotel would let a person of only 16 check in. Im sure not sure of the position regarding hostels.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

16 is still a "child" under US law, and people of 16 are not permitted to sign contracts, work at a job, or be responsible for pretty much anything. In fact, people in New York City are required by law to attend school until age 17. Very different from the UK where 16 is the age of majority.

I'd be very concerned that you could even be detained by the police as a "runaway minor," as you have very few legal rights at that age. I would counsel against this.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

actually 18 is the age of majority in the uk, jh ;-)

I do think you make very good points

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

Hi

No Travelling to NYC under age 18

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

Like jhwanderer I would be very concerned with your traveling at age 16. Not only are you subject for being treated as truant from school I can not imagine any hotel allowing you to check in. ( even those who allow "under" 21) If G-d forbid you were injured you could not even obtain medical care without the permission of your parents. I urge you to rethink your choice.

New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

Absolutely agree with others, don't do it. ! It is way way way too risky.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

Even Hostelling International in NYC (the YHA) says no unaccompanied under-18s.

Maybe you can get a penfriend or get your parents to work their contacts or search family history until they come up with some charming cousin of a cousin who has a spare bedroom on the Upper West Side who will host you ...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

even if that happnes there is till the immigration issue to be worked out ......

sorry its not better news op

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

Steven, if you really want to go then I suggest you start working on your parents. They need a break some time and it's easy to take a short break to NYC.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to NYC under age 18

Or just wait until you're 18.