We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat

Como
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat

Looking for suggestions for a meal on our first night.

We arrive 18 Jan (after a long haul flight) and are staying in Best Western Hospitality Plus, E 47th Street..

Our intentions are to wander as far as Times Square / Broadway.

Main food types Italian, American, Mexican budget upto $30-$40, open to other suggestions and nearby areas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat

I think your hotel is on 49 st. not 47th. The Smith (bistro) is very good near your hotel but in the opposite direction to Times Square.

http://goo.gl/maps/aEKuj

If you'd rather eat near Times Square, Toloache or Hell's Kitchen are good Mexicans. I don't' know what time you plan to do this, but know that the best restaurants near Times Square will be busy for pre theater meals from 6-8 so if you intend eating at that time near Times Square, it's important to book in advance. Less of an issue near your hotel.

menupages.com

for details. To find other options, the hotel is in the east 40's but east 50's are also close. Times Square is midtown west or west 40's & 50's.

Como
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat

Thanks for the information, i will check out your suggestions, i would imagine we will look to eat around 20:00.

England
Level Contributor
922 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat

I'll probably get slated for this but we love olive garden when we are in the US. It's very cheap by American standards and there's one in times square. We have been to OG in Florida and California several times and it never disappoints. The menu is good and the chocolate martinis are divine :)))

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,278 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat

Olive Garden is fine if there's no good Italian around. I eat at the Olive Garden when in Texas. When in New York, I would really encourage you to eat cheaper and better Italian food. Whiz's suggestions are good.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat

BB said it well. "Olive Garden is fine if there's no good Italian around".

There is much better Italian food a short walk away from the TS Olive Garden.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,748 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat

I agree with the above. But I also believe that the entire midtown west area is one of the worst if not the worst areas for authentic Italian in the city. Worse than Staten Island! A short subway ride downtown and your options explode

NYC
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat

Tao is a great Chinese restaurant.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat

Tao is not a Chinese restaurant. It's Asian Fusion with lots of Japanese and Thai influenced dishes.

9. Re: Where to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 06:17