We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in February - what to wear

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
New York in February - what to wear

I'm going to New York on 23 Feb for 5 nights and wondering what everyone is wearing? How cold will it be? Not sure what I should take to wear? Just bought some ugg boots?

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in February - what to wear

same thing you'd wear in Manchester

Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in February - what to wear

Its cold

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in February - what to wear

Www.weather.com and put in the zip code of 10018 (mid-town). You can do a 5 or 10 day (even hourlly) weather reports. Should give you an idea of what to pack. Dressing in layers is always advised as well as good water-proof shoes in case of snow and slushy days..

Have a wonderful trip. My sister was born in NYC on February 24th 45 years ago during a huge blizzard, and yet I experienced 60 degrees F the same time as well...

Hope this helps!

PS, my aunt is from Manchester and still has her lovely accent!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in February - what to wear

Nobody can predict the weather a month in advance. Plan for cold and hope it's not too bad. And if it's worse than expected, you buy a new scarf or gloves or socks

Historical averages can tell yuo a bit of the story, but they are that, just AVERAGES. According to http://www.wunderground.com, the mean average temp for Feb 26 in manhattan (zip 10018 as mentioned above) is 37 degrees Farenheit (3 celsius), and on that day last year, the temperature ranged from a low of 29F (-2C) to a high of 45F (7C). The record breaking high temp for that day was 65F (18C) set in 1890 and the record low was 7F (-14); set in 1990

england
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in February - what to wear

we went one year in late feb and it was freezing cold then last year we went the same time and we had a pinic in cenral park in the sun had to remove coats very warm ?? i would start checking the weather forcast a coulpe of weeks before but still may change so like people say layer and take cold wether colthes just in case, i am looking at going on the 24th feb too.

england
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in February - what to wear

we went one year in late feb and it was freezing cold then last year we went the same time and we had a pinic in cenral park in the sun had to remove coats very warm ?? i would start checking the weather forcast a coulpe of weeks before but still may change so like people say layer and take cold wether colthes just in case, i am looking at going on the 24th feb too.

NYC
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in February - what to wear

Its cold here around that time. bring coats, sweaters and scarfs.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York in February - what to wear

I assume you know how overheated it can be indoors in NYC when it's cold outside. A major reason to dress in layers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New York in February - what to wear

Checking weather forecasts weeks before your trip is a waste of time - no one can predict that far out; start checking about 2 to 3 days ahead of your trip and then again the day before because things change even in that short amount of time.

Heat is often turned way up in stores, museums, shops, some restaurants so layering is good advice.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York in February - what to wear

I start checking the weather 10 days out from my trip and check it daily. If it's going to be cold, know that there is nothing like a blast of cold wind rolling down a NYC canyon. You''re near the water and this air is moist, making it feel even colder. In cold temps (below freezing), my first advice is at least a 3/4 length coat that covers your derriere. Down is best, but as I'm allergic to feathers, I wear a fleece lined microfiber coat. In really cold weather, wool may not be enough, and remember that even if it's going to be sunny, the tall buildings cast a shadow on the sidewalks. For my sweaters, I prefer to not go too heavy because, as someone said earlier, you will be moving indoors and could end up being very hot. On your feet and if it's going to be wet or slushy, consider something like a Hunter boot (thick rubber) and get the fleece lining as well as socks. Rain also barrels down these canyons, and puddles can be hard to avoid, but I would get a short boot as they are easiest for walking. Otherwise, I'm good with my fleece boots in the winter (UGGs or whatever brand you prefer) sprayed with several coats of a waterproofing sealant. Like rubber boots, I find that my leather styles conduct the cold, so I only wear them if the high is going to be above freezing. In really cold temps, knee warmers are another consideration, and if it's really cold, carry fleece or yarn lined gloves. Thin leather gloves will not be enough.. Scarves are a way of increasing your warmth, and they help if indoor temperatures are on the cool side.