We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Met or the MoMA?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
The Met or the MoMA?

I'm planning on doing the Guggenheim and one of either The Met or the MoMA while i'm in New York. I'm leaning more towards MoMa though as I only have a few hours and I don't think i'll have time to do The Met as it's so big.

Does anyone know if you can access the shop at The Met if you're not paying to go into the galleries? Same question for the Guggenheim and MoMA.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

The Guggenheim presents only modern art so I would go to the Met because there you can choose to view art from every time and place. That way, you'd have a specialized and an encyclopedic museum on your itinerary. You'd never be able to "do" the entire Met anyway so if you only have a few hours, at least you can choose one section and see something totally different than what you'll see at the Guggenheim. That said, if you're a strict fan of modern art, MOMA is the place--even over the Guggenheim.

The shops at all the museums are completely accessible without paying for the galleries.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

I would choose the Met also, for similar reasons.

I have nothing against MOMA - I've been there several times - but it's often mobbed.

The building alone at the Met is worth seeing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,769 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

Go to each of their websites to see the collections/exhibits to help you decide.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

Love both, and I would choose the Met if you're also doing the Guggenheim.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

The Met has multiple shops because retail is a very important part of their business model. You can get into at least two big shops, one off the main lobby and one on the lower level off the education (Uris) entrance.

There's nothing wrong with the Guggenheim, especially if you want to see the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. But it's a smaller collection than MOMA. It might be fair to say that the Guggenheim shows more early 20th Century European moderns and MOMA more American modern art, but both places represent every country. You should check "Current Exhibitions" online when making your decision.

I'm not saying the Guggenheim doesn't have many important works, but rather that without the architecture, it would be "missable" compared to MOMA and the Met. (OPINION, not "fact")

Edited: 20 January 2013, 17:31
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

Thanks! All very helpful answers. I know the The Met is closed on Mondays but do you know if this is just the galleries or is the whole place shut? Was wondering if the shop might still be open....

I might just pop into the foyer of The Met to see the building and visit the shop. After looking on their websites the MoMA building also looks very impressive and possibly more my cup of tea. The Met might have to wait until my next visit to NYC.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

The lobby, shop, everything is closed on Mondays (but not holiday Mondays). But there's a Met store at Rockefeller Center that is open every day.

The Guggenheim does have wonderful architecture, but I am not a fan of the art in general. I much prefer the collections and special exhibitions at MoMA.

DC
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

I agree. The Guggenheim is a spectacularly mismanaged place that is almost never worth your time. The Met has the most stuff, but you can end up wandering around aimlessly. MoMA is one of the best presented collections you will find anywhere.

I'd skip the Guggenheim and do the other two, both of which have very extensive shops outside of their paid admission areas (MoMA's is across the street).

Edited: 20 January 2013, 18:33
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

The Met & the Whitney Museum of American Art are my 2 favorites, followed by ICP - International Center of Photography Museum. The Met has free admission, but donate what you can, and we prefer the weekend evening hours. ICP is $14. Whitney is $18, but pay what you wish Friday evenings (when I would go). I like the Met as we would also could have dinner there.

I find the Guggenheim to be too expensive for what it is... it's a fun walk-through, not often worth the current $22 entrance fee, went there more when had a student id as NYU grad student & I've seen even higher admission costs there in summer. Stand in front & take a picture is a best bet there IMO.

MOMA is ok, good cafes & restaurant, but art is more of a limited collection but does have some contemporary showings & traveling exhibits, but again high entrance fee - $25.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Met or the MoMA?

Hi Stuart,

How long will you be staying in New York and what other things do you want to see during your stay? You could end up spending quite a great deal of time just in the Met Shop!

If you are into Modern Art- then MOMA is a no-brainer. The Met deserves more time and as a previous poster mentioned, you could wander around for hours. Choose specific areas and just stick to those.

I went to MOMA as well as part of the Met and the Guggenheim. (I say part as my significant other was literally dragged into all three and finally revolted after continually moaning and complaining :)))

If you only have a few hours I would peruse their websites to see what's on and just pick one. It all becomes a blur when trying to fit everything in a short space of time.

Also consider purchasing a New York City Pass which will provide significant savings on entry to both the Met and MOMA as well as Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building. Also-you don't have to waste time in a queue!

Another gem is the Brooklyn Museum. I specifically went to see a Modernist Jewellery Exhibition, but found this museum extremely interesting.