We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 weeks in New York

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 weeks in New York

Wife and I wish to spend 3-4 weeks in NY in May/June. Our interests are theaters, museums, classical music and dance concerts, history, food. Will appreciate help in terms of is the idea of stay of 3-4 weeks worth it, which better month, where to stay, what to budget, how to be safe in stay and travel, which tours to take, how to book theater,concert tickets at better prices, etc. Thanks for your time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

Two recent Trip Reports of month long stays in NYC are mine (type 'Progressive Trip Report' in the forum's search engine) and this blog from Ginny..

http://www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com.au/

Enjoy that wonderful city...it's amazing.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 05:58
Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

Jenny and Virginia are experts on this! Listen to them....

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

The biggest challenge will be to find affordable housing if you're on a budget. Renting apartments for less than 30 days is mostly illegal in NYC but even if you stay longer than 30 days, it's still a daunting task to find something decent, legal and well located if your budget is limited. While some of the suite hotels may say they have special monthly rates, they're still not cheap.

So the first thing I'd ask you if what kind of housing budget do you have? Imo, that will determine how long to stay. May is a nicer month weatherwise, but will also be more expensive in hotels.

There's loads of info on the right column here under Top questions about booking tickets.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

Lucky you! You may want to consider staying in different locations since you are going to be there so long. I would love that!!

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

Is $5,000/ good enough for a studio or one bedroom apartment in theater district? Thanks for responding.

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

I have budgeted $5000 for 12 nights in May. Would be very interested to know if you can do 3-4 weeks for that price.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

You don't want an apartment of any sort. You want a hotel or an apartment-style/suite hotel. And as long as you're close to a subway station, the location doesn't matter.

I think 3 weeks could be doable - $5000 over 21 nights is just under $240/night including taxes.

Some of the Affinia hotels (www.affinia.com) do weekly rates so you could look at them. Hotels in Long Island City would probably come within that price range. Another possibility is if you find a hotel that's close to your budget, contact them directly and see if they can do better than what their website shows as it's for an extended stay.

You'd probably want somewhere with a kitchen/kitchenette.

I would think it'd be much more of a struggle to do 4 weeks.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 06:19
Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your very useful comments.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

3-4 weeks is sufficient time to visit Big apple city. in New York, hotels are number are more than we think, with all facilities. But you need to one room with food and dining facilities are best. And you also want to travel in the city. For all this, i suggest you to concern with any Chauffeurs services provider which take you all the places which you like to visit. for tickets you search on internet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 weeks in New York

I agree that you should contact hotels directly. They very well might make a deal with you for 3-4 week stay. Try to negotiate and they may work with you. I also suggest some place with small kitchen - it will be very expensive to buy all these meals. Another option is 2-3 wks in NY and some time nearby for the rest (Philadelphia, Boston, Wash DC, upstate NY, etc.)