We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide price- eating in NYC

Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Guide price- eating in NYC

Hi there, Can any give me a guide price for eating B,L & D per person in New York?

Bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question I know, but thinking low- mid range prices for something half descent also how expensive is beer in restaurants?

We have our teenage daughter with us so am guessing we wont be eating in bars either. Trying to work out how much to load onto my card!

Thank you

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

have a look at prices on www.menupages.com

dont forget tax and tip is extra

Stamford...
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

Menupages is an excellent way to get an idea of food prices.

If you want to, you can certainly eat in bars with your daughter. Sitting at a table rather than at the bar is recommended. Obviously, if the place is rowdy with drunks and doesn't seem to offer much in the way of food that's not the place to be. There are loads of bars, though, where the food is good and families are welcome. When you're wandering around a neighborhood notice most places have a menu posted in the window - have a look at that and the crowd inside and make up your mind.

new york
Level Contributor
876 posts
1,073 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

One can eat as cheaply in NYC as anywhere else and one can eat as expensively in NYC as anywhere else. As a rule, touristy areas and prime shopping blocks will cost more than off the beaten path. Chinatown is amazingly cheap. Also delicious. Great choices and holes in the wall exist on 9th and 10th Avenues west of theatres. For Japanese, which can get pricy, select EAST (on Third Av between 26-27) conveyor belt sushi--check its other locations, too. You can drink the tap water in all restaurants which saves $ over bottled. Servings also are so large in NY, that sharing can work. Or order two entrees for four people. Stop into a Fairway (several locations) for a slamon on salad meal for taking toyour hotel or a park-weather depending. $7.99. The pay by the ounce salad bars can be cheap or pricy depending upon your choices. the E. Village and Lower EastSide and Brooklyn and Queens all have great restaurants. Remember that midtown Manhattan is based on prices for those on Expense Accounts conducting business.

new york
Level Contributor
876 posts
1,073 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

PS the best eating experience I know--- in good weather only-- and at many price points--the outdoor tables on Stone St. in the financial district--dinner or weekends...lunch is probably crowded. Cocktail time is noisy. Many restaurants each has a different menu. I think there is even a Subway chain there-so prices range from $5 up.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

and here I thought you were looking for the price of a tour guide. Oh well -- You are getting great advice above.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

How expensive is beer in restaurants?

Depends what you want from a beer. I know places you can have a $3 beer, a r or a $25 beer, though most of the time, you'll pay between $4 - $7 for a standard american fizzy yellow beer, and I'd think $6-$9 for a craft beer brewed locally.

M

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

I can't open menupages.com...is just me?

Chester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

Wow! What a great and very informative answer! Thank you for your time & effort! I will certainly take note of those ideas.

9. Re: Guide price- eating in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 06:16