We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

Hi guys,

we finally set off for NYC in under 48 hours..

Could someone tell me.. which would you recommend? it's our first visit..

I understand that the Staten Island ferry is free.. But would anyone say it was worth paying for the water taxi?

Thank you all :)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

If you want to go anywhere by water other than to Staten Island, then yes.

Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

SI ferry is there and back. Its a nice view of the city, its free and they sell beer on it, Not that swill Newcastle Brown but good beer. LOL

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

If you go in morning from NY to Staten Island boat will be less crowded.

new york
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to get a better look at the SOL than from Manhattan but don't need a close look, the the ferry is fine. If you want to get up close to the statue and/or you want more of a boat tour, then the water taxi. I did the water taxi and it is pricey but we were glad we did it. There are also other tours such as circle line.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,523 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

If you want a better view of the SOL, the get the water taxi. If you want just a little spin round the river then take the ferry. Its free and if you have a nice zoom lens, then distance does not matter as you will take good pictures of the SOL.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

The Staten Island ferry does NOT go near the Statue of Liberty so you get a distance view (ok for photos will a telescopic lens), But to get the real sense of majesty of the statue AND to get to pass under the Brooklyn bridge, I think the water taxi is a far better option. Look on

goldstar.com

and see if there are any discounts. The

statuecruises.com

also does a harbor cruise that passes close to the statue for a good view but I don't think you go under any of the bridges.

Huddersfield England
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

We used water taxi because was near our hotel.was £44for me wife and daughter.we had 9/11 tickets butthey gave us ones that were a bit better time was.great narrative and you can get off and on G.village Battpark ,bbridge and great view of SOL

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

Ferry does go close to frontal view of statue.

No binoculars,spotting scope etc needed.

9. Re: Staten Islans Ferry vs Water Taxi? HELP??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:17