We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID at bars for tourists

Christchurch, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ID at bars for tourists

What is considered acceptable ID to get into bars around NY? I was thinking of just bringing my (NZ) driver's license and maybe a photocopy of my passport, but am wondering if I should also have the passport itself with me?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID at bars for tourists

I can't imagine every traveling without my passport with me at all times.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ID at bars for tourists

Twice we were refused drinks when we showed our Victorian licences....at the time we were 52 and (almost) 50....we took it as a compliment!!!!

(They said they needed NY state ID.)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID at bars for tourists

I don't let my passport out of my sight. Leave the copy of your passport in the hotel and take the original with you. I also leave a copy of my passport at home before I leave for o/s trips, you just never know.

Christchurch, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ID at bars for tourists

Thanks for the responses! If this is the case I'll probably carry my passport 24/7...

Ps. That's crazy that they needed a NY state ID, Jenny... how do tourists drink anywhere? ;)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID at bars for tourists

I've never been refused with a UK driving licence.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID at bars for tourists

It only happened twice...which made it even funnier - once at Madison Square Gardens at the Carnegie Deli franchise...can't remember the other time.

We went to the Carnegie Deli (proper) a few weeks later and had a beer ...no ID needed!

Other places we weren't asked for ID...but we didn't go to bars..just restaurants and cafes...so maybe it would have happened more often if we'd gone to bars.

I'm sure a New Yorker will be able to explain it fully.

(PS my Victorian ID was fine for getting into the 9/11 Memorial...I didn't need to take my passport along).

Edited: 23 January 2013, 09:03
Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ID at bars for tourists

Can I ask why people carry their passports everywhere with them? I've always left my passport in a hotel safe when abroad.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ID at bars for tourists

I never carry my passport around...too scared I'd lose it...if they don't accept an ID with a photo like a Driver's Licence then I'm not doing it.. going on an international flight is the only exception....

Christchurch, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ID at bars for tourists

Yeah, I'd often leave mine in the hotel safe too. Which is why I asked.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ID at bars for tourists

I got the impression that even if we'd had our passports, we WERE NOT getting a beer from the woman serving us at the Carnegie Deli franchise at Madison Square Garden....she had been told a NY State ID was required and THAT WAS THAT.