We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours at JFK

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours at JFK

We have a 6 hour lay over at JFK, can anyone recommend anything to do as we don't fancy spending it at the airport! We are a family of 4 with a 6 year old and a 16 year old. Thanks

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours at JFK

do you REALLY have 6 hours. What time does flt arrive at JFK (from where), and what time is second flight (to where)?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours at JFK

Correct. 6 hours of free time? Or 6 hours from the second your plane lands to the second your next plane takes off? You'll find that if your scenario is the latter, you probably don't have 6 hours, and you may want to bite the bullet and stay at the airport.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours at JFK

We have an internal flight into JFK at 1.20pm and an international out at 7.30pm.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours at JFK

so you really need to be back at the airport for 5 at the latest.

I dont think you will have time for anything unfortunately, given that it will take around an hour each way to and from manhattan

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours at JFK

Thanks anyway, can anyone recommend any of the airport or airport hotels restaurants?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours at JFK

there are no hotels WITHIN the airport. Your best bet is to find someplace to eat in departure terminal. Most good eating places are post-security, meaning you couldnt go to another terminal.

What airline for flt OUT of JFK?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours at JFK

We are flying in and out with American Airlines, so it would be Terminal 8? Thanks

NY, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hours at JFK

There is an O'Neals and also a Bobby Vans Steakhouse, both secure side at terminal 8. Not wonderful, but passable, and you can have a nice sit down meal.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 hours at JFK

"We have an internal flight into JFK at 1.20pm and an international out at 7.30pm."

so could be WELL over an hour thru immigration/customs/rechecking bags and you probably have to check-in for 7:30p flight around 5:30p???

so you have about three hours. I'd definitely to a leisurely VERY LATE LUNCH.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 hours at JFK

JFK is in Queens. You don't have a lot of time, but there are actually things to do and places to eat in Queens, and some of them are not terribly far from the airport. The thing I was thinking you could do--Queens Hall of Science--is all the way up by the LIE and I do not think you have time to comfortably do that.

But, if you are willing to spend a little money to take a cab, you can go to a restaurant and arrange for a taxi to pick you up at the restaurant and bring you back to the airport. I would probably arrange the taxi/car service back to the airport beforehand, or at least call the restaurant and ask them who they usually call.

I personally dislike sitting at airports so I can understand wanting to get out.

menupages.com/restaurants/…