We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How hard was it getting around in NYC?

Bartow, Florida
13 posts
Save Topic
How hard was it getting around in NYC?

I am a person with no sense of direction.

I plan on using google maps or hopstop most of the time but I just wanted to check with people if these worked well for them when they went to NYC?

I do have a map of NYC but I am not the best with maps.

Did anyone encounter unforeseen difficulties just using google maps/hopstop?

Thanks!

jfd
west hills, ca
Level Contributor
357 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

i thought hopstop was great. the only difficulty is when you get out of a subway station sometimes you lose your sense of direction. I used a compass when that happened. otherwise had no issues.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

Almost every time we'd emerge from a subway, we'd ask "where is X" - otherwise, we'd have gone off in the wrong direction.

new york
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

When in midtown, it is quite easy to get oriented. If you start to walk and the numbers are getting higher when you want them to get lower, you turn around. When you get downtown (or in Greenwich Village) it can be a little confusing and I did use a map there when I first started visiting. I would definitely have a map with you. People will always be willing to help you, but for me part of the fun is exploring even if you get lost temporarily.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

It's really easy in the parts of the city on the grid system when you know what direction the avenue and street numbers increase. But Google maps is always great to have on hand. I always cache the 10 mile radius around where I'll be and then I can use it offline on my phone. Just always be wary of walking around with your phone out all the time though; New York is safer than most cities I've been to but you do still have to have basic street smarts. Another idea is to virtually walk some of the routes you are concerned about on Google Street View - it really does help when it comes to doing it for real.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

It's easy peasy. It's a grid for most of the city. Do NOT be afraid to ask directions or to ask which subway stop you need, etc. People are happy to help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

And, you can use an actual, hard copy map -

I imagine most people get turned around during their first trip - I still do sometimes in the village and I used to live there. You never can get all that lost - just ask people and they will help you get back on the right track.

If you have to be somewhere at a specific time, then allow yourself some extra time for what I call "getting lost" time. You will be fine.

When getting on the subways, know if you are going "uptown" or "downtown" - so you get on the right subway.

NJ
Level Contributor
794 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

It's very easy. The MTA website even has a trip planner. It can be confusing if you don't know which way is north, south, east or west. You can get an app for that. In a "new" city I love my trip advisor app because it really helps.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

New Yorkers are very helpful but...to get the info you need you need to be a little selfish in the way you ask a question.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2010/03/asking-quest…

Bartow, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

Awesome suggestions. How do you cache a 10 mile radius on Google maps?

Edited: 25 January 2013, 16:34
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,877 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How hard was it getting around in NYC?

You can use the Tripadvisor NYC guide without data. It has maps and a compass that use GPS. I loved it.