We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
Save Topic
1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

Family of four including two young teen boys travelling to NYC last weekend in June 2013 (Fri/Sat/Sun evenings). I'm a bit overwhelmed by hotel choices, and I'm not enthralled with quotes provided by local travel agent. I'd really appreciate some advice.

Budget - Is $250avg /night feasible that time of year? I can probably handle $300/night, but would really prefer something less expensive. Looking for best value/ family friendly.

Location - TA says we "have to stay" in Times Square area for the experience, but I'm not married to that thought. As long as we're in walking distance to major attractions / public transport access and good food, then I'll be happy.

It it helps, AAA & Holiday Inn Priority memberships are active.

Did I forget anything?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

I disagree with TA on this ;-)

I would HATE to stay in Times Square but some like it.

How many beds do you need?

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

This will probably be the last trip boys will be OK with sharing a bed, so two beds minimum. Queens preferable, but realize this might be a tough request.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

My family is going in early June, and we're trying out the Affinia Shelbourne this time. We usually stay on the Upper West Side at the Milborn Hotel but are trying something new. Both of these hotels have suites, with kitchenettes, so you get a bit of extra space--small sitting area, or another small living room area. You might look at the Affinia hotel group--various prices, various neighborhoods but all seem to get good reviews.

There are lots of hotel options "around" Times Square but not actually right there in it and you would probably be happier not to stay right in TS. The Shelbourne is in the mid-town area, so we'll be close to lots of things and can hop on the subway easily as well.

Good luck with finding a good hotel--there are so many choices and NYC hotels are much more expensive than other areas of the country. You'll love it though--such a great city!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

I also disagree with the TA. Times Square is much too crowded and touristy IMO.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

Your kids would probably love being around the buzz of Times Square, but there are many folks who don't enjoy the crowds and such.

But just as a side note, it really takes no time at all to walk down 7th Ave from, say, W57th to W39th.... they are "short blocks"...... so nearly any hotel within say 8 blocks or so from TS will be close enough to walk to easily.

Cheers!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

Your budget is low for that time for a room for 4. The Affinia 50 is $269/night plus tax for 2 queen beds on Priceline.com

2 double beds at the Iroquois is $247 plus tax on Priceline.com

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

So, if we bump to $300/ night avg, what are some preferable options?

Also, is it worth it to look for a place that includes "free" breakfast, or would we better off hitting a diner/coffee shop/etc?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

We stayed at the Hotel at Times Square. We got a family room, two rooms with two full size beds & one bathroom. The hotel also had a continental breakfast included in the rate. It's about three blocks from Times square. We let our teenage daughters wonder around Times Square by themselves since the hotel was so close. I think we spend around $260 per night last July.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

Most NYC hotels don't offer breakfast. Those that do will recover their cost with your room rate. Plus, you won't want to feel confined to hotel breakfasts when there are great options outside the hotel.

Take nearby breakfast options into consideration when you chose a hotel (if that's important to you). Google maps can show you nearby restaurants, bagel shops, bakeries, etc

If you get one of the apartment style hotels, you can keep breakfast food on hand. The Affinia 50 suite mentioned by NYWhiz has a full kitchen.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timer- hotel suggestions for late June please

If you came the following week even including the 4th of July, you'd pay much much less. If your dates are flexibile look at July 3-6.

None of the Hoiiday Inns include breakfast but many of the Hampton Inns do and some like the Hampton Inn Times Square North (not in Times Square) and the Chelsea locations have rooms with 2 queen beds rather than the more typical 2 doubles. Many of the Hilton Garden Inns have rooms with 2 queen beds and are relatively new if that works with your AAA card.

The Hotel at Times Square is not a bad budget option, not in TS, rooms with 2 queens or the 2 room suite with a queen and a king and they do include breakfast although basic.