We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor from England

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor from England

Me and my wife are planning a stay in NY. Dates at the moment look like 28 December 2013 to 3rd January 2014. We are budgeting around $325 per night. For this we are hoping to get a good hotel in within easy reach of Central Park, Time Square etc. Are we being realistic taking into account we will be staying over new years eve? Does anyone have any tips, recomendations for hotels?

Thanks in advance

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor from England

the best thing you can do is try to book something you are happy with you can cancel with no penalty. you are NOT going to get good rates this far out.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor from England

WRFC We will be first time visitors from England also. We have never found booking a holiday so difficult. Normally we just book a package and fly out to the sun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor from England

Interested in doing the same, when would be the best time to book flights for the NYE period ?

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor from England

I have found flighst leaving Heathrow on 28th around 10am arriving in NY midday local time and returning around 6pm on 3rd Jan arriving in Heathrow at 6am on 4th jan and £600 which I though was reasonable.

I have found many of the hotels say they have no rooms available for these dates. I think it may be due to the fact that it is to early to book/reserve as their tarrifs etc may not be availabe yet. I can't believe many hotels could be fully booked already....?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,458 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor from England

It's 11 months away - I'm sure it is too early; if you are concerned, email them directly and ask or call them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor from England

Make you right on both counts WRFC

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitor from England

I think we are going to change our dates slightly and stay over Christmas itslef leaving the UK on December 22nd and returning on Dec ember27th.

My question: How much of NYC is likely to shutdown over this Christmas period? In the UK pretty much nothing opens/runs on Christmas Day itself. However the otehr big days during this week (Christmas Eve and Boxing Day) things run fairly well. Can I expect the same in NYC?

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitor from England

It's much easier being in NYC than in London on Christmas Day. The subway runs (holiday or Sunday schedule I assume) 24/7 on that day, for example, unlike the London underground which I believe is closed then.

The locals can give more specific advice on any questions you may have, but as a tourist I found it very easy to be in town, get around and find places to eat. If you want specific to eat in specific restaurants, reseravations may / is needed but I hadn't made any reseravations (personal preference - I don't like planning too much in advance when it comes to specific times) and I didn't have any issues finding places to eat on Christmas Day either.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitor from England

Also there is no such thing as "Boxing Day" in NYC

new york
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visitor from England

I have been to many European cities over the Christmas break and NYC is nothing like that. You will see that Christmas day is a bit more mellow but still restaurants and many stores are open and unlike in Europe it is only one day. You could also rent an apartment to save some money. There are plenty that rent for less than a week.