We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Service Question

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
128 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Car Service Question

Looking to book a car service from LaGuardia to Manhattan (Chelsea area). There are 4 of us with 1 piece of luggage each. In checking on-line at Dial7 and Carmel, both sites showed that a sedan would not be large enough for all of us and we would need to hire a minivan. In other cities (Chicago, Washington DC, Seattle), the same 4 of us traveled together and were able to hire a sedan and we all fit just fine. (Honestly, we all got into a Toyota Corolla with our luggage, but it took an engineering feat to do it!) Is this a New York City requirement, or do you think it would make a difference if I called directly to the company to see if a Sedan would work? We realize we could take a cab, but thought a car might be nicer after a long flight. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Service Question

So many of the visitors to the forum are arriving from Australia and we talk about managing after a very long flight. I can't help but chuckle about your saying "after a long flight" when you're coming from Kansas City.

The dispatcher at the taxi rank at LaGuardia can get you an SUV taxi or a minivan taxi at no additional charge. You can say, "We need an SUV (Ford Escape) or a minivan" and they'll make sure you get one - no additional cost.

If you prearrange a sedan with a company like All State or Dial 7, you will pay a premium for a larger vehicle. I'm sure you'd be able to squeeze into a sedan but why would you want to? Why not either pay All State the additional for a GMC Yukon (much more comfortable) or if you don't want to pay more, then get a larger taxi from the taxi rank for no additional charge.

Mentioned in this post
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
128 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Service Question

Thanks, MoreFFmiles. I understand your chuckle at my word choice for a long flight, but even a one hour flight is a long one for me as I hate to fly. And since we leave at the crack of dawn for East-bound flights, it seems a long day. But I digress....looks like our best bet is to just take a taxi. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to our May visit to NYC.

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Service Question

You can book a Town Car with Dial 7, and you will all fit fine! (including your luggage). If you pre-book online with Dial 7 (not pre-pay, just make a reservation) you will save a few dollars. Enjoy your Trip!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Service Question

What larilu is saying is that you'll save a few dollars over the Dial 7 rates you'd get if you didn't pre-book.

Dial 7 will likely not be cheaper than a taxi any which way you slice it (unless you get stuck in traffic).

I think your best bet is to get the SUV or minivan taxi where you'll have more room and will not be as cramped as a sedan.

All State has GMC Yukon's. I really like the GMC Yukon. www.allstatelimo.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Service Question

We always just get the standard town car from Dial 7 for 4 of us and have never had a problem, Never pre booked just called from the airport once we arrive , I always have to laugh when we are in the USA , when locals say to us " we would love to go to Australia some day .... but it is soo far away" .... yeah we know .... we just flew it , 24 plus hours, door to door travel, to get to New York , but well worth the effort

Edited: 28 January 2013, 02:37
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
6. Re: Car Service Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 05:17