We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in NYC then where should we go?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
1 week in NYC then where should we go?

Hi everyone - this may sound like a stupid question but as we're coming from the UK the most expensive part of our holiday is always the flight to the USA

So we were thinking of having 5-7 days in NYC then going somewhere fairly close (no more than 4-6 hour bus/train away) but where should we go?

We have no idea where to start looking?

(if someone can direct me to a different forum that would be great too)

Thanks a lot!

Edited: 28 January 2013, 11:02
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

Boston ? Washington DC?

Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

Washington DC?

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

In 2010 we had a week in NYC then picked up a car & drove to Cape Cod for a week which was lovely.

This year we're having a week in Boston/New England & then getting the train to NYC which takes about 4 hours

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

When will you be in the U.S. ? There's no use going to Cape Cod in Feb. or March (even April and May can be 'iffy'.). Boston or D.C. would be better choices during the winter and spring months. D.C. will be expensive during cherry blossom time.

Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

It's possible to get a super cheap coach ticket (if booked in advance) to Washington DC. I did the reverse journey in 2009 - cost less than $10 with megabus.com and the coach had air con and wifi...you couldn't go wrong with it. Anyway, Washington DC is an incredible city, so much to see and do and most of the good stuff there is free! If I remember correctly it took about 4 hours on the coach.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

The first thing to bear in mind is that you should book what is called an open-jaw ticket from the UK.

You can fly from the UK to Boston and fly back to the UK from Washington. Then you can travel in one single direction from Boston to New York on the train and from New York to Washington on the train. No backtracking.

Open jaw tickets are not more expensive. You simply build this on the airline's website using the multiple destinations tick box. For instance LHR - BOS & IAD - LHR

There are loads of things you can do ranging from New England to Gettysbury in Pennsylvania. Boston, the southern coast of Maine, Cape Cod, Newport Rhode Island, Mystic Connecticut, the Hudson Valley, Gettysburg, The Biltmore Estate in Asheville North Carolina, the list is endless. What sorts of things interest you and what time of year?

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

Depends what kind of post-NYC experience you're looking for, but check out Philadelphia. A large city with a different vibe than NYC. A boulevard of art museums, overflowing with American history, the Kimmel Center for acoustically perfect music. Lovely. If you go by car, you could also visit the greater Philly area. Bucks County with stone houses, B&Bs, small touristy towns like New Hope. South of Philly is the Brandywine River Museum and Longwood Gardens. These places have been my NYC getaway trips.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

The OP asked for something 4-6 hours away by bus/train. I took this to mean they did not want to rent a car.

Sophie, are you willing to rent a car? Some places are just easier to see with a car.

Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

If you are coming during summer months a trip to Cape Cod would be great.

If not i recommend Washington or Boston. Philly would come in after these 2 cities as far as i am concerned.

Have fun.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week in NYC then where should we go?

Time of year and whether you're willing to rent a car are two important factors. There are some options where you can get there using public transportation, but really need a car to get around once you arrive. Other destinations are fine with no car at all, but these are primarily city destinations.

It also depends on your interests and what type of activities you would enjoy.

Budget may be a consideration as well.