We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

I will be visiting New York City for the first time with my teenage daughter in December, landing in Newark airport late evening, just before midnight. Being that I have never traveled to New York, what is a name of a reliable shuttle service? Taxi seems to be very expensive and I'm not comfortable taking the Airtrain. We will be staying in Midtown.

We will be catching a 7am flight on our return, will a shuttle service be reliable for the return? thanks.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 00:08
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

There are no reliable shuttle services. If you won't take a car service or the train, there's always the Olympia Trailways bus, but there's nothing wrong with the train.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

There are no reliable shuttle services. All of the shared ride shuttle van services are uniformly dreadful, and all of them should be avoided.

I have no idea why you are uncomfortable taking the AirTrain, which is safe, reliable, professionally staffed, full of other passengers, and patrolled by police officers -- none of which you can say about getting in a car alone with a stranger, which is what you seem to be considering instead!!! If you tell us what mistaken ideas you have about the AirTrain that make you hesitate to use it, let us know so that we can give you better informatin (just as you have now received better information about avoiding the horrible shuttles...)

Edited: 01 February 2013, 00:16
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

Shuttles are terrible in NYC - they're notoriously unreliable and they're just all around bad - the business model simply doesn't work in NYC.

AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit is excellent - $12.50 Fast and safe.

The Olympia Trails Newark Airport Express is excellent. www.newarkairportexpress.com

You can prearrange a sedan with a reliable company like Dial 7 or All State. I prefer All State but a lot of people on here are very happy with Dial 7. www.allstatelimo.com - 1 212 333 3333 Dial 7 is www.dial7.com 1 212 777 7777

You can't get NYC taxi's at Newark Airport in New Jersey.

Do not accept rides from touts at the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

I'm not even sure what the airtrain is to be honest? I need a service that is easy as I don't want to be get lost late at night with my daughter. I'm surprised to read that there is no taxi service from the airport to midtown, what do most people use for transportation? if I was better informed about the airtrain maybe I would be more comfortable. Or is it better to fly into JFK or LGA?

The Olympia trails looks like a good option however the flight lands at midnight, the service only runs till 1am, what if the flight is late??

Edited: 01 February 2013, 00:54
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

Why do you think there's no taxi service? You can get a Newark cab, but they're expensive because they can't pick up fares in New York City for the return trip. Car services tend to be less expensive from Newark to Manhattan.

The AirTrain is a monorail that takes you to the (very safe, very secure) Newark Airport train station, where you get a train into New York Penn Station. It's $12.50 per person. The bus costs $16.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

I assume you were going to fly into Newark because theres a better fre than flying into LGA or JFK? If you think a car service from Newark is too expensive, compare the difference in airfare to the airfare to another airport with a cheaper cab ride, and decide which makes more sense overall. If you're not comfortable taking public transit late at night, it's silly to nickel and dime the cost of a car service.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,360 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

In the NYC area, there are moderately priced car services. It's not the same as a fancy limo service with chauffeur. From EWR, it can be less expensive than a taxi for reasons others have described. Stick with one of the forum-recommended operators (such as Dial 7). Don't shop around for misc services offered online.

Since you are nervous about navigating public transportation, and would also need to navigate to your hotel, plus you may be tired and your flight could be delayed, I think planning on a car service would be a good choice. It will get your trip off to a less anxious start, which would be money well spent.

I'll re-iterate that the shuttle services are truly dreadful and you would feel far less secure doing that vs taking regular public transportation. You could be stranded for 1+ hours waiting for an unsociable and evasive driver to collect enough passengers at the airport, then wait while others are dropped off (assuming said driver even knows where he is going), and the vehicles are often in poor shape.

Plan on taking public transit back to the airport for your return flight. It will be less intimidating then, and (presumably) a better time of day without major fatigue.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,360 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

... just to clarify, I'm fine with airport shuttle services in other areas of the country (and have used them frequently), but the model doesn't work in NYC because there are so many other transportation options. The lower customer volume just doesn't sustain the efficient running of high quality shuttle services.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,376 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

Given your particular requirements, I would do the following:

1. If your flight arrives on time, take the Olympia Trailways bus. It's simple: you exit the terminal, walk to the nearby bus stop, get on the bus and ride into the city.

2. If your flight is late, take a taxi. It's simple: you exit the terminal, get into a nearby taxi and ride into the city.

I spent the first half of my life in NY and, in spite of the apparent popularity of the AirTrain on this Forum, when I rode it, the first time, I found it completely confusing since you have to:

a. Find the air train platform

b. Get on and off the air train at the correct stop

c. Transfer to the NJ Transit rail platform

d. Get on the right train (there are Amtrak as well as NJ Transit trains) going in the right direction and then get off at the correct "Penn Station" (there are 2 different ones -- one in NJ and one in NY).

Add to that, the rail platform is in 'the middle of nowhere'. Since I doubt there are lots of passengers arriving at midnight at EWR, you could be standing on an isolated platform at midnight. A 'bad guy' could arrive on an earlier train and make some mischief.

While I understand that there are security patrols at the station, the guards can't be everywhere, all the time. They have to use the bathroom, take a break, 'call home', whatever. It takes just a few seconds for a disaster to happen.

Compare that scenario with exiting the terminal onto the sidewalk with people milling about and getting onto a bus or into a taxi. It's a no-brainer.

Have a great visit!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: shuttle from Newark to Midtown, recommendation

While I suppose following signs that say "AirTrain this way" in giant letters might be confusing for some people, I have to disabuse this notion that the train station is dangerous. The station is in a secure, fenced in area with no street access - it's only accessible to people traveling to and from the airport. There are armed police and guards there at all times, because it's part of the airport infrastructure. It's the safest place in Newark, outside of the airport itself. That's not something that should worry anyone.