We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

Galway
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

Hi.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this post...

basically I plan on going to NYC this summer & wish to avoid roaming charges which are extortionate.

I have read of Ready SIM plans for $35 for 14 days which includes 1GB data which seems like a good deal for a foreign visitor.

Anyway it says that the plan provides access to a high speed 4G network.

I have an iPhone 4 so my question is will I be able to utilise the 4G speeds? I have seen some articles online claim that the iPhone 4 is not compatible with 4G while others say it is so I am a little confused.

If it is not compatible - would this mean that I would be getting 3G speeds instead?

Thanks for any help or knowledge anyone can provide

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

I'm pretty sure that only the iPhone 5 is 4G compatible.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

No iPhone 4 with any SIM or network is capable of 4G speeds. It's just not available on the phone. You will get 3G on your iPhone 4.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

It appears that you are from Ireland, in which case I will assume the iPhone 4 that you have uses the GSM wireless cellular technology.

In the US, the wireless carrier that uses the same technology is AT&T, so my guess is that any SIM card you purchase for use while in NYC will use AT&T's network (whether you purchase a SIM card from an AT&T store or from a company that leases bandwidth on AT&T's network).

Prior to the rollout of the LTE technology, which is a true 4G technology, AT&T was touting its HSPA+ technology as a "4G" network. In reality, the HSPA+ technology, while offering data transmission speeds close to LTE speeds, is not a true 4G standard.

Your iPhone 4 does not have the capability to use the true LTE 4G network, although it may, but I don't know for sure, have the ability to use the quasi-4G HSPA+ technology.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

4G and LTE have been marketed differently. It's all rather confusing.

Linus809 has explained it right, and your phone will give you the fastest possible speeds on a GSM / HSPA network.

iPhone 4 = 7.2Mbps Down

iPhone 4S = 14.4Mbps Down

The iPhone 5 has many different technologies built in. The European iPhoen 5 won't run on the US LTE Networks, but has fast modems built in regardless.

iPhone 5 = 21 Mbps Down or 42 Mbps down

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

I broke my 3GS while in NYC so raced down the block to an AT&T store and came out with a 4GS.

They pretend it gives you 4G by re-defining "4G" according to some marketing-speak instead of engineering-speak.

But - if this is what you're asking - it was fast, way faster than my 3GS.

6. Re: iPhone 4 capable of 4G In NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:16