We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Firstly, thanks to all who post on Trip Advisor, especially the regulars. After reading the FAQs (yes, some of us actually DO read these!), and using the search option to find what I was looking for, I barely had to ask any questions at all.

We spent two fabulous weeks with our teenage boys (13 and 18) and had an amazing time. We think we fitted a lot in, but at the same time we didn't feel rushed, even having the chance to sleep in occasionally, as teenagers like to do! Here's a brief summary:

Accommodation: Staybridge Suites Times Square. Good location close to transport. Kitchenette was handy.

Dining: Le Bernadin, Brasserie 8 1/2, Bull and Bear Steakhouse (for Christmas), Slightly Oliver (NYE), Birdland, Iridium,Terrace 5 at MoMA, The Wright at the Guggenheim, Zabars, Superfine (Dumbo, Brooklyn), Lobster at Chelsea Market, Dallas BBQ, Hot Dogs.

Broadway/offBroadway: Wicked, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Avenue Q.

Jazz: Birdland, Small's Jazz Club in Greenwich Village, Iridium Jazz Club, Harlem.

New Year's Eve: Slightly Oliver (Upper West Side), walked to Central Park to see fireworks, then watched the band at the end of the midnight fun run.

Sightseeing: Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty (but only from the Staten Is ferry as the island was still closed after Hurricane Sandy), Brooklyn bridge (walked to Brooklyn), Central Park (walked around after it had snowed and saw the Zoo one day, hired bikes another), Highline Park, Chelsea Market, Greenwich Village

Museums/galleries: MoMA, Guggenheim, MET, American Museum of Natural History.

Shopping: 34th st, 5th Avenue (most of it, from 34th - 57th!), Apple Store, SoHo, Jersey Gardens .

Christmas/holiday activities: markets - Grand Central Holiday Market, Union Square market, Bryant Park Holiday Market (where we went ice skating). Holiday windows - Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Saks, Bergdorf and Goodmann. Rockefeller Plaza (tree and watched iceskaters).

Other: Big Apple Greeter (UWS), Movie - The Hobbit in 3D at an Imax theatre, Sony Wonder Technology lab.

We did a LOT of walking, caught the subway and enjoyed the artwork and buskers there, felt safe everywhere we went.

Thanks NYC! Hope to be back one day.

Mentioned in this post
Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Staybridge Suites Times...
5,962 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bull & Bear Steakhouse
Bull & Bear Steakhouse
778 Reviews
New York City, NY
Birdland
Birdland
647 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,481 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Wright
The Wright
152 Reviews
New York City, NY
Zabar's
Zabar's
554 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dumbo
Dumbo
1,993 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Chelsea Market
Chelsea Market
7,967 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas BBQ
Dallas BBQ
449 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Iridium Jazz Club
Iridium Jazz Club
190 Reviews
New York City, NY
Harlem
Harlem
1,057 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
805 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,500 Reviews
New York City, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,113 Reviews
New York City, NY
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,912 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,076 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
American Museum of Natural History
American Museum of...
21,152 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,243 Reviews
New York City, NY
Union Square
Union Square
1,291 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bryant Park
Bryant Park
19,576 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lord & Taylor
Lord & Taylor
205 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,573 Reviews
New York City, NY
Big Apple Greeter
Big Apple Greeter
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
Corner Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
kate spade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zabar's
Gift & Speciality Shops
new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Thanks for posting your report... I love it when visitors do, although I have to admit, I still have to write one for my trip to Ireland in the fall. Glad you enjoyed NYC and want to come back.... I was born there and would love to live there but hubby is a country guy. My DD lives there so I have the excuse to visit on a regular basis...

How was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Interested in a non-commercial review.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Thanks noseymama62. We all enjoyed Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Scarlet Johanssen was surprisingly good - at first I wasn't sure it was actually her, she was so different to what I had experienced of her on screen.

We chose to see this on the basis that we were seeing an American play written by an American, in America. It did not disappoint, even though NYC was not where the play was set, it didn't matter.

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Level Contributor
297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

great report! Couple questions as we are thinking about doing a few things on your list..How was Avenue Q, funny or corny? I have heard both! Brasserie 8 1/2 was that a nice rest. and good meal there? Wondering if you enjoyed shopping int he Soho area, we have 2 girls so thought that would be fun for them. And Lobster at Chelsea Market, is that an everyday thing or just certain times, do you know? Thanks so much!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Chelsea Market
Chelsea Market
7,967 Reviews
New York City, NY
denver, colorado
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Loved your trip report - sounds like you had a wonderful time. We will be in NYC for just three days in March. and would like to visit at least one of the many wonderful museums. Out of all the museums you were able to visit, which one would you say you enjoyed the most?

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,282 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Thanks for writing a trip report....I enjoyed reading it...you really packed a lot into your time in NYC, and it sounds like it was great!

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Thanks for the trip report. As we plan our trip for 8 days with a tween and teen most helpful. Did you get any of the passes for the places you went or did you pay as you went? Thanks for the info on the Staybridge had not considered that hotel. I may even have Holiday Inn points to use.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

ETravel - Avenue Q was totally hilarious! We loved it. It was funny, and a little corny but very clever, especially if you grew up watching Sesame Street. We bought discounted tickets through broadwaybox.com the day before and were lucky to get 7 rows from the front which was great, as the expressions on the faces of the actors were just as fun to watch as the muppets.

Brasserie 8 1/2 was a lovely restaurant. We went there for Sunday brunch and the buffet was amazing.

SoHo was good for shopping - as was pretty much everywhere! Most of the stores there we also found elsewhere, more or less.

Lobster at the Chelsea market I'm pretty sure would be there anytime the market is open.

Hope this helps - enjoy your trip!!

Mentioned in this post
SoHo
SoHo
3,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
Chelsea Market
Chelsea Market
7,967 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

mexicofan52 - difficult to say which was our favourite museum. I think we would probably say the MoMA, plenty to see there, and easy location to access via the subway. But it depends on what your interests are, as the MoMA is all modern art. My husband enjoyed the MET more as there was something of everything there. I think our recommendation would be to go early wherever you decide to go to avoid long lines.

Hope this helps - have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,481 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

chitownbigcityfan - we did get the City Pass, and felt it was mostly worth it from a cost point of view. At Empire State building where it seemed everyone had the pass, but those that didn't have the pass got to go ahead to buy tickets and actually got in ahead of us by a little bit. But we did go at a busy time (middle of the day) and the lines were long anyway you got in.

Staybridge suites was a great location, and we were given a room on the top floor (32nd) which had a great view of the city buildings and Hudson river. The hotel was busy while we were there. Breakfast was provided, and if it was too busy we just took it back to our room. On Tues, Wed, Thursdays they also provide a light meal in the evening.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,113 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hudson River Hotel
Hudson River Hotel
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report: 2 weeks Dec/Jan with 2 teenagers

Fabulous trip report...thanks for posting. Glad you liked Brasserie 8 1/2 ...

And how did you go getting a jacket for your son?