We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

The things I worry about...

If my husband and I were going for an upmarket evening out - think dinner somewhere like Asiate and then drinks at the St Regis or similar - what should he wear to endure we don't get turned away?

Would smart jeans, a shirt and smart shoes be okay? I don't think he would want to pack a suit nor wear one on holiday!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

Slacks and a sports jacket at the very least.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

"Smart jeans" is something of an oxymoron in New York, rather as a "smart trackie" would be in the UK. Americans in general, and New Yorkers in particular, are always aware that jeans, no matter how "smart" they want to be, are really at heart a a glorified version of the work clothes worn by farmers, cowboys, ditch diggers, and anyone else doing dirty, manual labor. Many places will turn away potential patrons in jeans, even if those jeans are pressed and starched, and accompanied by a dress shirt and a blazer or a sportscoat.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

Better safe than sorry: call ahead to ask for dress code at the "upmarket" restaurant you intend to dine at.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

I know the last time we were at Penn station at 10pm waiting for our train back to Long Island, we noticed one thing....

Everyone and I mean everyone under the age of 35 who stepped off the train for their night out in the city had on the same thing....

nice (we don't use the term "smart") jeans, untucked button down dress shirt, dress shoes

I laughed at my 44 year husband for having on "old-fart" khakis!

Edited: 05 February 2013, 01:10
Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

I would not go with the jeans. My husband always wears dress pants and a jacket for the type of night you are describing. Others are dressed similar.

Barb

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

I would definately look into that restaurant before deciding what to wear. But...jeans are definately an acceptable form of dress in many places...not just on the farm or job site!

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

I agree that you should definitely confirm the dress code with any upscale restaurant you plan to visit, particularly for the kind of places you've mentioned. However, I would like to respectfully disagree with GWB's blanket fashion proclamation about jeans. Expensive/fashionable jeans are not perceived at all the same way as trackies. Conservative upscale restaurants are indeed likely to want a blazer and slacks (slacks--the most conservative word ever) but the key word there is conservative. Trendy (and expensive) upscale restaurants downtown or in Brooklyn are just as likely to be fine with nice jeans, a button down, blazer, and nice shoes, etc. In fact, if you turned up in "slacks" at one of those types of younger skewing restaurants you'd look like someone's visiting old great-uncle from the suburbs.

It all depends on the restaurant's rules and culture, so do find out in advance.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

mmepetite, have you ever been with anyone who was turned away form a restaurant for wearing jeans? I have been. In this case, it was the Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center. The party consisted of three gentlemen all over 35. Two of us were in suits, while the third -- a visitor from Texas -- was wearing a very nice tweed jacket, a dress shirt, starched and ironed jeans (they do that down there...) and polished cowboy boots. Our party was turned away at the door because one person was wearing jeans.

Now what do you have to say?

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

I say that the Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center is the kind of more conservative place I was talking about, so I'm not surprised that they were turned away. I'm not arguing with the fact that jeans can get you turned away from some restaurants. And I'm also not disputing your observation that jeans retain the whiff of manual labor and the working class (commodified and aestheticized, naturally). I was merely pointing out that not all restaurants that are expensive, and are considered upscale in terms of their ambiance and clientele will turn a person away for wearing jeans.

And I totally agree that if there is any doubt at all, you should always call the restaurant and ascertain their dress code before showing up.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should men wear for an upmarket evening out?

Asiate and St. Regis? No jeans (of any sort)

Williamsburg? (almost anyplace) Yes jeans.

Upmarket may or may not mean "trendy". We have a real range of restaurant types in NYC. We still have many classic, traditional restaurants that require more conservative clothing (esp. in evening), and also trendy places that do not "want" conservative clothing.

It pays to call the specific restaurant.

Penn Station does not represent most NYers, it represent (obviously) those people coming to/from LIRR or NJT. And what matters most is where you are eating, not what form of transportation you take to the restaurant.