We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

part 2 report

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
part 2 report

Thursday day 4. The day we decided to go to Roosevelt Island, we left about 10am from our hotel on 39th west, thought we would walk to 39th and 2nd then up to 1st and 61st east, so we could take a few pics, am a building geek what can I say, not wanting to rush we stop in few little shops thinking we had load of time, got lost a 1 point went down a dead end so we make tracks back up to 1st, and back towards were we think the cable cars are, yes I can see a car going over to the island, checks the watch it is now 10:40 as we get to the entrance only to notice there is a barrier there, walked round and thinking how the hell do you get in here that’s when it hit us, the thing was closed from 10:30 to 3pm Monday to Friday wtf ha L , oh well it gives me an excuse to come back to NYC in the future J.

Bit of a wasted walk of about 3 miles, but as in NYC you soon find things to do. Went in to Schwartz toy store and had a play on the Big Piano finally after 4 goes in NYC I got on it, tried doing chop sticks, had a little browse round the shop looking for gifts.

Into the park now. must of walked the full length of it, went past the metro art, and up to JO reservoir man that’s big, walked around there for a while then headed towards the Mandarin, by Columbus Circle. We didn’t go into the observation deck, but we did hear it was worthwhile if you wanted to go in.

Me thinks its time for a few beers after all this walking

So we went to Hooters purely for there XXX wings ;-) omg they are the hottest things I have tasted in a long while habanero chilli phew had to wash it down with a few pints.

Waited till the pain left us, and took in a few more bars as once the taste of the beer and the cold got us, the only sensible thing to do was take refuge in the bars had a few in Rumours great little bar well looked after, the Social and then the Playwright and onto Smiths, ending up back at our hotel with a few bags of presents, had 1 or 2 in the Irish bar next to the hotel.

Bags in then showered dressed and out for the night, cant really remember much of the rest of that night but I believe the pictures are funny lol.

Friday day 5 last day. up again sprightly for breakfast, so decided to go to the observation deck in the ESB, took some great photos, had a bite to eat in deli by there for the price surprisingly good, feel the cold in the air, were expecting snow today. Coin toss of what to do now. Ferry around NYC won, made our way over to 12th avenue to get it, as were getting closer the temp is not to clever for ferry ride, so we decided to see the USS Intrepid and the Growler, what a visit 1ST went in the submarine, 2 months a time at sea between 85 and a 105 crew 1 shower a week and not surface, make you think what they endured am 6ft2 and I would have been knocked out 1st day. The guides gave nice insight into life on board.

Once that is over I spot concord my fav plane why its not still in the air baffles me, what a plane, so climb on board Intrepid wow is the only word, we could go virtually everywhere on the ship within reason any 1 time there were 3 to 7 thousand crew on board, its so big it has escalators that they used, all kept preserved by glass. Again all the guides were very good, and helpful never realised just how big this was so much to see and do, went on the floor displays that you could go on, went onto the landing deck jaw dropped as I saw the space shuttle, we didn’t get that close as the are building a pavilion for it the be housed in, another excuse to come back.

Making our way back to the hotel

Today again as been 1 marathon of walking, so it’s changed and a quiet night around the hotel and Times Sq, as we are on our way tomorrow. Had a Chinese on 8th not the best I have had or the worst, think 5 days of walking is getting to us, its been snowing steady for a little while, am thinking my flight out will be delayed like it was coming, Btw New York looks even better with a hint of snow,

What I did notice was most hotels and shops clearing their own area of snow, we don’t get that in the UK.

Head back to the bar next to the hotel we are exhausted, relax with the Friday crowd before sleep.

Said our goodbyes in the morning

Took the train to Newark, well we had to get a bus the last few stops but not a problem.

Checked in straightaway, all on time the snow didn’t seem to affect New York.

Well am home now am sad, but I met so many nice people, and made new friends who we hope to see in the future.

Hope to see NYC soon, maybe a yr or 2, i have been 3 yrs on the trot,

Thanks for reading

Bye for now

Top of the Rock Observation Deck
Observation Decks & Towers, Lookouts
Empire State Building
Architectural Buildings, Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
One World Observatory - World Trade Center
Architectural Buildings, Observation Decks & Towers
Riverside Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Observation Decks & Towers
belfast
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: part 2 report

sounds like u had a ball

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: part 2 report

Great trip report! LOL... Could almost hear your accent as you described your visit! I need to get to the Intrepid... Thanks for sharing!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: part 2 report

I enjoyed reading about your NY adventures....thanks for sharing them!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: part 2 report

Thanks, we had a ball.

How was your trip belfastbenibabe?, what was your hotel like. Hope you post a review.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 07:12
Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: part 2 report

Sounds like a fun time in an amazing city! :)

belfast
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: part 2 report

i will get a review on asap my hotel was everything i was looking for cant wait to return.

7. Re: part 2 report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 05:16