We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in NYC

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in NYC

Does anyone know the best shops or outlet shopping centre in New York for high end quality goods - mainly womens wear!?

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in NYC

Visit this link http://www.fodors.com/news/story_5395.html it contains all the famous shopping center , like FAO Schwartz etc in New York.

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in NYC

Cheers! Many thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in NYC

Many thanks - any ideas on outlet shopping in NYC - or are they located in the boon docks?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in NYC

In Manhattan there's Century 21, which is a discount department store:

http://www.c21stores.com/

Woodbury Common outlets are quite popular however they're not in Manhattan. You're looking at a 40min-1hr trip by bus each way so if you have minimal time in NYC, I wouldn't bother.

Almost everything is already much cheaper in the USA compared to Australia. Some department stores also give tourist discounts. I know Macy's does this - go to the info desk there with some tourist ID and you'll get a 10% discount card.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in NYC

another optionif you want " outlet shopping " is Jersey Gardens in New Jersey ( a bit like our DFO centres ), only a 20 -30 min bus ride from the Port Authority building in Manhattan, about $12 return ticket , No sale tax on clothing and shoes in New Jersey , Basic big brands , Nike , Addidas , Timberland , Levis etc

http://www.jerseygardens.com/

I have found though the best shopping is in New York , Macys , Bloomies , and all the little individual shops we stumble over.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 05:19
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in NYC

thanks!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in NYC

Hi there

I heard that Century 21 is like the American version of Dimmeys and Forges with really really old stock. Is this true and is it worth going to?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in NYC

The merchandice found in Century 21 is a far better than what you ever see in Dimmeys , High end labels at 90 % off , however the presentation is a bit like Dimmeys in that you do have to " dig" through the racks to find your bargins, it is well worth the effort

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in NYC

I loved Woodbury Common, we were told by friends and family to go with an empty "wheely" suitcase on the bus there (pre-book tickets from Port Authority or online before you go, it's 1 hour drive away) and loads of people were loading empty cases on the bus but we decided not to do that which was a mistake. We didn't buy enough to fill a suitcase but having a suitcase would have made it much easier to carry around as the place is huge and we did buy quite a bit! I have family in Staten Island who also shop there so it was recommended by locals!

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
569 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in NYC

I was super overwhelmed being in C21. It would have been great if I was in a digging mood and searching for a bargain but I particularly would rather spend time sightseeing etc.. You'll spend hours and hours in Century 21.