We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

We are coming with our 6 and 8 year old in March. Reading some reviews for restaurants where, even with reservations there are long waits. I'd love to avoid some of that if I can help it (at least a little bit). I'm wondering- do we have a better chance having dinner around 5:30 vs 6:30 and later? Or is it just based on where we choose to eat? For what it's worth- we are not looking at restaurants catered to kids. Ours are pretty well behaved lest the get the evil eye from mom (me). At the same time, I'd love to avoid them wait an hour with a reservation and then sit for 2 more hours eating dinner.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

Most places seat you close to when your reservation time is. I would never wait more than 15 minutes if I had a reservation. Unless you are in midtown near the theaters where restaurants are crowded for the before theater dining crowd, most shows start at 8, you shouldn't have a problem getting a seat at a restaurant at 5:30 or 6:00 even without a reservation

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,327 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

The earlier you eat, the better for everyone, because kids are more expected at earlier dining hours than later hours. That said, I know of very few places where you would expect to wait an hour with a reservation. Where are you reading that?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

Thanks- that was helpful. I read it in some forum reviews regarding Tao.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

Tao is one restaurant, that's not indicative of the whole city

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

On OpenTable, I often see restaurants that are otherwise booked up with 5:30 pm still available, so that time slot will definitely give you more last-minute options. It's also much easier to get into the front room at Gramercy Tavern (which has no reservations) at 5:30 pm with no wait.

Like the others, I also have not had the experience of waiting for my reservation - if it's at 7 pm, I expect to be seated at 7 pm. Occasionally there might be a slight delay, but no more than a very few minutes!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

Great to know. Thanks! Appreciate the comment about not being indicative of the entire city- I wouldn't have know one way or another since we've never been.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,327 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

Ugh, Tao. Avoid the over-hyped poseur places where the impossibly hip go to savor mediocre food and congratulate themselves on being "foodies," and you won't have that problem.

Sorry, that may have been overly harsh.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

I think it was under harshed BB. I've been to Tao twice before. Twice too many

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

not a fan? ;-)

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner times in Manhattan? With kids?

BB and Ziggy, I totally agree. I don't care about being hip. I'm too old for that. I only came across it when I was searching for atmosphere and some comments in the forum came up about the wait at Tao. I definitely don't want to eat at some trendy place that lives on hip reputation but the food (and service) has long since passed its prime. And while I'm at it, I don't care about seeing celebrities. I just want a meal where, in 2014 as I'm waxing nostalgic about our vacation I can say "Damn, that was one great place/meal".