We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

Hi my family is coming for vacation to NYC from 1st - 5th Apr, 2013. We want to see times square, empire state building, Manhattan skyline cruse as well as Statue of Liberty cruise .

The hotels in time square are expensive. We need 2 rooms. My question are:

1. can i stay away from Time square and commute every morning to times square, as all activities start their i have been told.

2. Which areas are safe and how much it would cost to and fro to times square.

3. Will getting cab be easy in that area.

I appreciate all your help.

Amit

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

You can stay anywhere that's near a subway. It is easy to travel around NYC and you will be wanting to use the subway before you use cabs.

Everything you have have listed does not start in Times Square anyway (you need to start looking at a map) and there are tons of attractions, restaurant, shops, neighbourhoods etc completely away from that area.

If you post your nightly budget in USD you should get some help for hotels.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

1. yes you can but times square isnt the centre of everything

2. the cost for a subway ride is the same wherever you go

3. yes but expensive - subway is the best way to go

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. My nightly budget is around $200/ night per room. I need 2 rooms.

Given the activities i mentioned in my original post, where should i look for hotels. Any suggestion on hotels.

I really appreciate all your help.

Regards,

Amit

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

Depending on the time of the year, my husband and I have gotten rooms around $200 at the Hotel Newton at 96th and Broadway. It's an older hotel with small rooms and a slow elevator, but you're steps from the subway and can be downtown in 15 minutes.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

Stop listening to whomever told you that all activities start in Times Square. That is completely wrong and makes no sense.

How many people in each room and how many beds do you need? This affects hotel pricing and options. Your budget is quite low for Manhattan (especially if you need more than one bed in the room), but there are less expensive hotels outside of Manhattan, but still in NYC and on the subway. Once you provide info on how many people per room and number of beds in each room, forum members may be able to provide suggestions. Which airport are you using?

You can buy a 7-day subway pass (also includes buses) for $29. Subway is the best way to go as it does not get hung up in traffic.

6. Re: Trip to NYC - 1st - 5th Apr 2013 - Hotel ideas needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:17