We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're back - trip report

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
We're back - trip report

Finally arrived in New York after fairly eventful trip from Australia.

Train arrived early evening from Philadelphia. Wow – snow everywhere.

Traveling with SWMBO and 74 year old FIL.

Walked out of Penn Station and grabbed a cab to the Radio City Apartments where we are booked for eight nights. Too cold and tired to bring all our luggage on the subway.

Really cold, but the sky was clear, so a great night to enjoy the views from TOTR. Hadn’t been up there since our first visit to New York. Great views. Followed it up with dinner at Ellens Stardust Diner. SWMBO loves the place – as usual the food was very ordinary, and relatively expensive, but the usual entertainment was there. We always visit the place once on each trip, and since I got it over and done with on the first night, I don’t have to worry about fitting it in later.

Woke today to a beautiful clear but freezing cold day.

We do have a long list of things we hope to do on this trip, but we have learnt not to make the plans to definite on a day to day basis.

Another visit to ESB was hoped for if the weather suited, and the morning was perfect for it. We did have ‘Express’ tickets that we purchased before leaving home.

That’s getting ahead of myself.

Breakfast this morning was at EZ Diner on Broadway. Simple, very basic, cheap, nothing flash, but it did have the basic requirements of breakfast – these being eggs, bacon and toast, or any other combination of the same three ingredients. It was also only a 2 minute walk from our accommodation so in future the FIL should be able to get his own breakfast if need be.

After breakfast SWMBO and FIL wanted to go to a mass at St Patricks Cathedral, and while they did that, I had the job of getting us all 7 day metrocards, and going back to the RCA to pickup the ESB tickets we’d gone out without this morning.

Oops, after getting metrocards, what was I supposed to do?? Brain frozen, and still tired from the long trip to New York, decided to go for a walk and see if I could find somewhere to buy some gloves – the hands were really feelin the cold. Got as far as 42nd street and no luck with gloves, and nearly time to meet up with SWMBO at St Patricks. Easy – have metrocards, subway in front of me – Oops again – reminder to self: Be sure the train is going in the right direction before getting aboard. Time real tight now, but managed to get back to meet SWMBO in time, but what was that other thing I had to do? Pick up ESB tickets. I forgot. So we all trudged back in the cold to get the tickets.

No further problems. ESB was great. Express tickets did save a little time, but with such small crowds we probably wouldn’t have suffered much if we had saved a few dollars and bought standard tickets.

Next ‘Must Do’ if the weather is fine was the highline. So a slow stroll crosstown towards the Highline. Three blocks later, FIL is complaining of sore feet and being tired so he goes off on his own to get a bus back towards our hotel and arrangements are made to meet up later in the day.

Now for a major disappointment. Get to the Highline, and the signs say it’s closed. Not happy, but do understand things are not as safe with all the snow. Had really looked forward to seeing it all covered in snow. We have found out since that it did open today progressively in sections.

SWMBO is a keen quilter so each visit to New York includes a visit to her favourite quilting supply store on 25th. So we made our way there to satisfy her ‘must do major retail therapy’ urge, and then had a walk around the flatiron area. Very much stuff on the standard tourist itinerary but very enjoyable to see the city with such a coating of white.

Lunch at Shake Shack – tried it on our first visit to the city and weren’t really impressed so thought we’d give it another go. It was alright, but we really don’t see why it’s so popular. Cheese fries were good though.

Tonight we went to the Rangers game. Woohoo – 5-1 win. Good fun. Great atmosphere. Not sure if it’s my memory or not – all the food and drinks seemed really expensive and quite unimpressive at MSG. Don’t remember it being that way when I last visited.

Dinner before the game was at Giro II across the road. Thanks Mel for the recommendation on a recent thread. Great cheap, and messy meal.

Tomorrow is supposed to be really wet, so it looks like we’ll probably concentrate on doing some major retail therapy. When we travel to New York we usually bring only one or two changes of clothing with us, and try to take home a fairly complete new wardrobe. Since we were traveling in winter for the first time, we did bring a lot more gear with us this time, but I’m sure we’ll manage to fill an extra suitcase or two.

More to come in the next few days.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: We're back - trip report

WOW!! Sounds like an FABULOUS night. The Drifters. OMG. I will be singing Under the Boardwalk all day. ;)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: We're back - trip report

SI it was.

We did rely heavily on the waitress' recommendations.

The meatballs were fantastic.

Musells and clams highly recommended - the sauce they were in - I wish I could reproduce it.

For main course FIL and I each had the pork loin and SWMBO had the veal. Sorry we're not foodies - we love it eat good food, but the descriptions and fancy terms are beond me.

We had great plans to go back in there for desert and coffee after the show finished, but we were just too tired and still quite satisfied after the large dinner.

Couldnt even tell whaich wine we had. All Italin wines on the list and we simply asked the waitress' to make a recommendation - and she got it just right.

And we were very pleasantly surprised at the overall cost.

All in all made a great out-of-the-ordinary (for the New York visitor) dinner spot, and we got to see Manhattan from the ferry at night.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: We're back - trip report

The show was great - some real old goodies.

One of those things we have always found typical and great of New York - the real thing is always here - these weren't just tribute bands putting on a show - this was the real deal - and these people live and breathe in New York - here they are someones friend and neighbour - and we were amazed that at the age of some of these performers - awesome.

The show is coming back to the same theatre in ctober for a 'Fall DooWop'.

Would highly recommend seeing it - amazing old theatre too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: We're back - trip report

Your evening sounds phenomenal....

We did the audio tour of Grand Central Terminal and learnt a lot and really enjoyed it....glad you did too

Edited: 16 February 2013, 19:07
staten island
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: We're back - trip report

Staten Islanders love their Doo Wop, that's for sure. If you ever come back, Enoteca Maria does have amazing desserts too.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 19:46
staten island
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: We're back - trip report

I also wanted to mention to visitors reading this TR, when the box office of the St. George Theatre is opened (Mon-Fri, 10-2), you are allowed to take a peak inside the lobby. The restaurant is a couple of doors down. So, if you don't want to take the next ferry back right away...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: We're back - trip report

Excellent report AndPancho- I am heading there next week for my second NYC trip. Question - What is the name&location of the quilting shop SWMBO frequents? My mum loves American cotton fabric for making up her quilts so I might go check it out too!

Peterborough...
1 post
Save Reply
38. Re: We're back - trip report

Wow what a fantastic read, me and my wife are heading there in October for her birthday. Keep all the good info coming your doing a great job :0)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: We're back - trip report

ybibit, it's City Quilter

http://www.cityquilter.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor