We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel broadway area

Iota
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hotel broadway area

Will be taking our twins to NYC in Nov and need info on hotel in BW area. Walking distance to area sites. Price range $200-250 per night. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? Or webs to visit??

Thanks

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel broadway area

Broadway is the same as Times Square and there are lots of hotels in the area. However Times Square is not close to all "the sites." (no one hotel is near everything there is to do in NYC)

New York is very big, so the best location for you may depend on what you are planning to do during your stay. Are you primarily planning Broadway shows?

In Times Square itself one of the most kid friendly hotels is Doubletree Guest Suites, but not sure if it will fit within your budget.

On the left side of the page, TA has a listing of many hotels. To get an idea of prices, first check the hotel's own Web site. Keep in mind any discounts you might have like AAA. You can also call the hotels directly to get quotes.

After you have an idea from the hotels themselves then you can check on quikbook or easyclicktravel.com to see what rates are. Travelzoo.com often features discounts from various sources, but those deals are usually offered closer to the travel dates.

Level Contributor
1,621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel broadway area

You may also want to check out the Hilton Times Square. I had a very good experience there.

Iota
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel broadway area

Thanks to all,

I know it will be somewhat hard finding rates that I am keeping it down to (trying) but we are going to Rome in a few weeks and their prices are beating us up. considering what their rates are for 4 ( WOW), NYC should sound rather inexpensive. Anyway, I will try suggested hotels. Only one I was familiar with is Millinium and they want 400+ night for 4..

Keep sending.

Thanks

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel broadway area

Check prices for the Hampton Inn Times Square North. The AAA rate is usually pretty good. I found the best rates are on the hotel's own web site. Also, the Novotel may be in your price range (depends on your dates of travel).

timberlake,nc
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel broadway area

We have stayed at the Broadway Millinium on 42nd street for $200 a night, and have seen even better rates since then. Don't stay at Milford Plaza- tiny, old room; staff not too friendly or helpful. Also charges to hold bags at check-out if you have tiime to do stuff before you fly out. The Millinium is really nice, staff is great,rooms very nice.

One thing to remember-Broadway goes from the financial district all the way up the island of Manhatten. You cannot use is as a reference unless you have an east-west street also. (such as Broadway and 34th- the Empire State Building) Your best hotel locations will be midtown. You can walk to a lot of places from midtown. If you do stay at the Millinium, Virgils restaurant is across the street.Great bbq. Hope this helps!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel broadway area

wooden

I agree with devan about the Novotel. We stayed there three years ago and are making our second trip to NYC in late July this year and are staying there once again. The rooms are adequate in size and the views of Times Square are simply awesome. Make sure that if you choose this hotel you pay the extra $20 per night for the Times Square view. The windows there are ceiling to floor length and make sure to request a high floor room. I think there are 33 floors total.

We paid around $220 per night for this three sumnmers ago and got pretty much the same rate for this trip as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,517 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel broadway area

pssst.... this thread is more than 3 years old, wooden has long since come and gone.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel broadway area

Broadway is not the same as Times Square, and it is not an "area". It is instead the name of a street that stretches the entire 13 mile length of Manhattan Island, and then continues for another 30 miles under the same name all the way through the Bronx, Yonkers, and succeeding towns until its name finally changes in the vicinity of Tarrytown.

When one speaks of a "Broadway theater", one is not saying much about where the theater is. Very few "Broadway theaters" are actually located on Broadway: the term actually means a theater in midtown Manhattan that has 500 or more seats. The Vivian Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Center, for example, is a "Broadway" theater. In the same way, an "off Broadway" theater may actually be located on Broadway in the middle of Times Square, but it becomes an "off Broadway" house if it has 100-499 seats.

If you want a hotel in the theater district, then you need to say you want a hotel in the theater district, and not "in the Broadway area". It is also very unclear what "sights" you want to be within walking distance of, or why you don't want to be within walking distance of other sights. One thing you should be aware of is the fact that no hotel in New York City is within immediate walking distance of all of the most popular things that tourists usually like to see or do. However, we have an excellent subway system that will take you just about anywhere you want to go, and almost all hotels in Manhattan are within a few minutes walk of a subway station. I would therefore choose a hotel based on factors other than whether or not you can walk to the theater (I mean, how often are you going to need to do that?), and would plan on using the subway regularly as the way to get aaround town.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel broadway area

Ahhh, just saw CC's comment. Doh!!

Why do people insist on dredging up old threads, anyway? Ah well, this is a confusion that other visitors often have, so my comments may serve some purpose.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel broadway area

Sorry!!!!!