We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktails/nightlife

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktails/nightlife

Hi

I'm coming to NYC in a few weeks time on my own and am looking for a single friendly (female 31) place to go for cocktails on a Friday night.....im staying near times square but happy to travel about.

Also any suggestions for an evening activity on Sunday night apart (apart from broadway show)

Thanks.

New York Urban Adventures
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Shopping Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours
Big Apple Jazz Tour
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocktails/nightlife

I'm too old to be giving you bar advice but until someone else comes along, here's what i know. ;)

I can't think of any place in NYC that wouldn't be "single friendly" meaning happy to have solo diners/drinkers. NYC is filled with singles who live alone. Where to go for a drink depends on what kind of place you like (Irish pub, swanky lounge etc.) If you're looking to meet people, sticking around Times Square will have you meeting other tourists like yourself. If that's ok, I'd try the lobby lounge at the Algonquin hotel, a historic spot and very comfortable. On that same block (44 st. between Fifth & Sixth ave.) are about 6 other hotels, each with a bar and/or restaurant so you could even do a bar crawl. Across the street is the Royalton hotel, much trendier. Next door is DB Bistro Modern restaurant in the City Club hotel with an active bar scene.

If you like jazz, any jazz club would be fine going solo. You can sit at the bar,r get your own table for a drink or have dinner (some have decent food while others don't). There are a few in/near Times Square like Iridium and Birdland (I wouldn't eat at either) or head to a different neighborhood where you may be more likely to meet locals. The bar next door in Greenwich Village, attached to the restaurant La Lanterna is very nice and near it are several other jazz clubs like the Village Vanguard, Smalls, the Knickerbocker Bar & Grill. BB King's near Times Square is another idea for blues and pop music or City Winery or Joe's Pub downtown.

Some search engines for bars are

nymag.com/nightlife

murphguide.com

urbandaddy.com

has lots of info about nightlife.

As for your Sunday night, are you looking for entertainment, a place to meet people, an activity or just "something to do."?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocktails/nightlife

Look at Crans' post in this thread if you're interested in meeting people

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6101890…

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocktails/nightlife

Thanks for this....will check out your suggestions,as for Sunday i think the 'something to do' best fits!

4. Re: Cocktails/nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 07:05
5. Re: Cocktails/nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:18