We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early March trip w/21-year old son

North Carolina
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Early March trip w/21-year old son

Hi all. I am bringing my 21-year old son to NYC in early March. I have been to the city many times on different types of trips, but this is his first time there. He is is not the typical male college student who wants to go to the NBA store, or go to wild bars. We have tickets to see John Stewart one night, and Book of Mormon the next. He wants to eat a meal (lunch or dinner) at Candle 79, and also would like to have a great steak. He is a very adventurous eater, and I am a bit of a foodie myself. We don't necessarily want fancy meals, but would like to have some excellent food in a cool, unstuffy environments. So first off I would love a couple of restaurant recommendations, both for dinner and for lunch. One lunch needs to be near our hotel (Algonquin) or in Hell's Kitchen (near John Stewart , before we line up for our ticket numbers at 2pm.) Have looked at places like Spice Market and WD-50 as ideas for dinner after John Stewart, but am still not settled on anything. Would also like to know where to get a great steak that is not a steakhouse, perhaps for a late dinner after BOM. Price is not really a concern as long as the food is great, but we don't want fine dining.

I am thinking that by day we will explore Rockefeller Center, NYC Public Library, Grand Central (hoping that there will be something interesting going on there for the anniversary?) He is not really a shopping or museum guy, so I am struggling a bit with where to take him! I would love to find something "different" to do, like riding the subway and finding the hidden art (remember seeing some statues down near wall streets in one of the stops, and another with mosaic "eyes" on the tile walls, are there others like this?)

I have been all over the forum and the restaurants and I think I am now overwhelmed! If you help me with the itinerary I promise to post day by day reviews ! :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

I love the subway art! If you google subway art new york city you'll find several sites. There's also an app you can load on your phone.

Here's a short video:

huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/18/the-art-underg…

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

He's never been?? You got some good advice on your last thread about planning your trip in 2011.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4345700…

ireland
Level Contributor
333 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

If he is 21 how about letting him sort it out himself....give him the forums and see what he is drawn too,it will make it more of an adventure for you and it will help build a bit of excitement for him!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

I took my 21 year old daughter for the first time last year, and one of the highlights of our trip was going to the 9-11 Memorial. I highly recommend you take the time to fit that into your schedule. It was much more meaningful than walking around Rockefeller Center or Grand Central, though you need to do those things as well (go to Top of the Rock while at Rockefeller Center.) We caught one of the water taxis over at the 12th Street Pier, and rode it around to see the Statue of Liberty, then got off at the South Street Seaport. Walked from there to 9-11 Memorial. You can stay as long as you like, as long as you get back on the water taxi in time to make the last run back to the 12th Street Pier area, which I think is close to your hotel. While you are in the area of the memorial, make sure you stop and visit St. Paul's Church, at the edge of the World Trade Center site. It is an incredible memorial itself, which I think you and your son will enjoy seeing.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

I had forgotten that I had posted for our 2011 trip! However, this is a different son than the one that went in 2011, he was a freshman in college at the time and could not go with the rest of the fam. On that trip, which was also early march, we about froze to death walking around in the rain, which was why I was looking for some more indoor activities this time! And yes, magnumsue, I was thinking that I would take everyone's suggestions with websites and let him contribute and choose. He has got a pretty heavy courseload this semester (in chemistry, no less), so is spending most of his time studying, so I don't want to let him sort it out himself completely.

ireland
Level Contributor
333 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

Intrepid would be good..i have never been but hubbie and son has,will be going this March though!

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

My 20-y-o and 26-y-o nieces loved this tour last spring:

viator.com/tours/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

Oh the mosaics at the subway stations are wonderful...I loved the hats at 23rd, the creatures at 28th, the athletes and artists at Lincoln Centre and especially the Jacob Lawrence Mural at Times Square.

This site will provide you (and him) with details of the art....http://www.mta.info/mta/aft/permanentart/permart.html?agency=nyct

The audio tour at Grand Central Terminal is really interesting....you can hire it from the booth at the Terminal or download it onto your smart phone.

If he's interested in history then the New York Historical Society (Central Park West ~77th Street) and the Museum of the City of New York (5th Avenue at ~103rd Street) are both very interesting ways of finding out about the city (and staying inside if the weather is unbearable).

Good steak - Minetta Tavern (not a steakhouse). BOOK for this at dinner!

And this thread for suggestions for Hell's Kitchen.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5878…

We incorporated journeys on a few of the above ground trains...see this thread: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5959… ..good for being 'inside' if the weather is lousy...but great views!!

Another thing we loved was going on the buses...partcularly the M5 down Riverside Drive...great views without being outside in the cold. (sorry Litsa..the secret is out!!

Edited: 17 February 2013, 23:36
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

And another thing he might like if he's into music:

nmai.si.edu/explore/exhibitions/item/125/

Up Where We Belong: Native Musicians in Popular Culture...at the National Museum of American Indians

It's downtown...nearby to both St Paul's Chapel on Broadway and the 9/11 Memorial.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early March trip w/21-year old son

Wow great suggestions! Jenny R, are you from Melbourne, Australia?