We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clarification for the not so clever please :)

belfast
Level Contributor
627 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
clarification for the not so clever please :)

Hi everyone. Im visiting new york on saturday for the first time. So excited :) can some one just clarify one thing for me. Sales tax!!!

Ii no that on clothing it applies to purchases of over $110 is this per item? Does it apply to childrens clothing and jewellery and finally does the same apply when shopping at woodbury common?

Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clarification for the not so clever please :)

Can't get the question with the typo but tax is on clothing and shoes over $110 per item for all including children. Jewelry is taxed at any price (8+%). The tax at Woodbury is on everything at any price but don't remember the amount.

belfast
Level Contributor
627 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clarification for the not so clever please :)

Thank you nywizz for your quick response

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clarification for the not so clever please :)

Just to make it harder, chick, there are other places in New Jersey that have a reduced sales tax of 3.5% because of local economic conditions (Urban Enterprise Zone).

Ordinary clothing is not taxed in NJ under $500 per item. There are some stupid hazy areas, like Halloween Costumes, but children's clothing is the same as adult clothing. Jewelery is not clothing.

I personally think that the outlet malls in both states are overrated. And now that special lower-quality [er, I mean, -price ...] items are made for some outlets, I wouldn't cross the river to get to an outlet. (Don't forget Macy's passport visitor discount.) Clothes are much cheaper here than in Europe. Don't bother trying to get the last 3%. One person's opinion.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 19:55
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clarification for the not so clever please :)

Note that the sales tax rate will change depending on where you are, as a sales tax is usually a combination of a state sales tax (with different states having different rates) and a local sales tax (with local municipallities having different rates.) Therefore, do not expect the sales tax to be the same when shopping in different towns or different states.

5. Re: clarification for the not so clever please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 06:17