We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Island City

Billings, Montana
11 posts
Save Topic
Long Island City

I have been looking for hotels. I was going to stay in Brooklyn, but looks like LIC is more affordable. Can anyone give me advice on the hotels in that area and just about that area in general. I have never been to NYC. I was looking at the Howard Johnson Inn, Days Inn, Hotel Vetiver, but I am up to any suggestions. I will be in NYC May 16th-20th. Thank you!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Island City

We stayed at the Verve last year and it was fine. We passed the Country Inn and Suites on the way to the subway. The Country Inn and suites is just around the corner from the subway. I would probably choose to stay there rather than the Verve if I was going back as it gets good reviews and is closer to the subway. No complaints with the Verve or the area.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Island City

I also like the country inn - its cheaper than the verve generally but not as "nice"

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Island City

Any of the hotels right near Queensboro Plaza or 39th Avenue station are well-located. The new Fairfield Inn on 40th is a good option. Be careful not to book the Fairfield on Van Dam as it is far from the subway.

The Country Inn and the Comfort Inn are both very well-located.

Everything near the subway (eg. not down by the river) is good.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Island City

Here is my standard response to that question:

The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on the convenience of their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Fairfield Inn and Suites Queensboro Bridge, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street.

Not quite as convenient, but possible, are the Ramada, the Wyndham Manhattan View, the LaQuinta (which is really in Sunnyside, and not LIC, near the 40th Street station of the #7 subway), and the Quality Inn on Queens Boulevard (which is really in Woodside, near the 52nd Street station of the #7.)

The hotels with Long Island City addresses that are not as well located (either because of distance from transportation, or noisy/ugly/ inconvenient /questionable site) are the Days Inn on Queens Boulevard, the Z, the Best Western City View, the Fairfield Inn Manhattan View on Van Dam Street, and the Queensboro Hotel.

I don't favor the Days Inn because its location, while convenient to the 33rd Street stop of the #7 train, is not only right next to the elevated train structure (so you have subway trains rattling past your windows all night), but also at the intersection of very heavily travelled truck routes with lots of traffic; it is noisy, congested, and not easy to cross the street to and from the hotel

The Howard Johnson is also not one I recommend, because I think it is too close to the huge and not-very-safe public housing project called the Queensbridge Houses (they are in fact at the end of the street where the HoJo is.)

Edited: 19 February 2013, 16:10
Billings, Montana
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Island City

Thank you all! I think I am going to go with the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge. Seems like it is priced well and good location.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Island City

Has anyone heard much about the Nesva, which opened at the end of last year? There are only a few reviews on TripAdvisor and a few more on other sites, which all seem very positive, but not very much to go on really. I quite like the look of it though.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Island City

Not heard of that one- where abouts is it located in LIC?

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Island City

I stayed at the Country Inn a couple of times and was happy with it. 2 subway stops nearby and a 23/7 shop at the gass station

a good budget choice, imo

Ireland
Level Contributor
926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Island City

LMV, Nevra Hotel location, picture says a thousand words - the street numbers in LIC confuse me!

http://www.nesvahotel.com/location.php

Edited: 19 February 2013, 21:39
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Island City

Not far from the country inn but around double the price for my dates

looks nice though