We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

I'm on a budget and want to take the CHEAPEST route to Newark Airport from Manhattan and back.

Going there - Leaving from Union Square to flight in Newark that takes off at 7:30pm.

Coming back - My flight lands at 11:30pm at Newark.

Is the commute dangerous? Newark is a BAD BAD area, but just wondering if the airport commute would be safer.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

Cheapest (and fastest/safest/easiest) way would be to take the NJ Transit train from Penn Station to the EWR terminal, then transfer to the Airtrain to your terminal. You and a million other people doing the same thing. Same thing coming back.

BTW, train ride is $12.50 each way.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 17:00
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

The CHEAPEST way is to walk. You would hike all the way up to the George Washington Bridge, and then all the way back down Manhattan Island. This will take you all day, and will leave you absolutely exhausted. However, you insisted you wanted the CHEAPEST route, and that's it -- because it won't cost you anythng in monetary terms.

Of course, I think anyone who insists on going the cheapest way is crazy. it is much more sensible to take the AirTrain/NJ Transit combination, which will get you to Penn Station in Manhattan for (I think) $12.50

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

NJ Transit train from Penn Station to the EWR terminal - $12.50 each way

Then transfer to the Airtrain to your terminal - how much will this cost me?

And isn't there another cheaper way?

I doubt airport employees will pay $25 everyday to commute to work.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

The $12.50 includes the AirTrain but doesn't include whatever the cost to get from Union Square to Penn station NYC. Assuming you have an unlimited metrocard, it costs nothing.

There is a cheaper option to take a local NJ transit bus from Newark Penn station to the airport instead of the Airtrain that will cost maybe $2-3 less. Airport workers would buy an airtrain pass (like a metrocard).

Have you never heard of

hopstop.com

It will give you options with prices. I think the trip planner on

njtransit.com

does too.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

Most airport workers live in the sourounding area so there transit is less. Yes the #12.50 includes the Monorrail.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

Frank, I answered both of your questions already: $12.50 is for the COMBINATION of NJTransit + Airtrain, and yes, there is a cheaper way to do it -- you can walk. There is also probably a way to take the PATH to Newark, and then a local NJ Transit bus -- but you can look that up yourself.

Considering that commuters who drive to Manhattan from NJ pay $13.00 for the toll at the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, and a round-trip peak hour fare on the Long Island Rail Road from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station is $32.50, I don't know why you think a $12.50 fare is so excessive. You may also note that few, if any, Newark Airport employees live near Union Square in Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

What about the local #62 bus? I heard it's only a $1.75. How does that bus route work?

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

Exact change and luggage restrictiond

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

GWB, to be fair to frank, he may have missed the useful bit of your post having passed over it thinking it was all full of sarcastic BS ;-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most cheapest way to get to and from Newark Airport from NYC

I'm cool with that, I'm traveling light and I always have change.