We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

We have a 6 year old daughter and 8 year old son. My first question is 'are these ages acceptable to take to a more-kid oriented Broadway show'? They've seen 3 hour movies, Cirque shows and 90 minutes local plays, but none of us has ever seen a Broadway show. And is there a universally agreed upon show to see? I keep reading about Wicked and The Lion King. Thank you.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

They should be just fine. I would probably aim for The Lion King as it is definitely more little kid friendly than Wicked. I know my own 6 year old daughter loved it.

The Lion King is very big and bold and exciting, lots of imagery to hold their attention and great songs. The characters wander through the aisles at some points as well.

Make sure you do bathroom breaks before and at the intervals. Also talk with them about not talking during the show and not getting up and moving about. I am sure if they have already seen other shows that they "get" the rules of behaviour.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,316 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

What bogwoppit said. Go for it and enjoy!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

I second the Lion King. If your kids are used to seeing local productions and sitting still and quiet for long movies, they should be fine. I would splurge for good seats because when you are closer you feel more immersed and it will hold their attention better.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

Agree. I think Wicked could be too frightening. Fair warning that some little kids have also been frightened at Lion King, but if they know the story, it should be ok. Annie would be another good option and often discounted whereas Lion King is not. Mathilda si also opening.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

I think 6 is a touch too young generally, but you know your kids best. If they can sit still and quiet for that long without singing along, then yes. See Lion King, not Wicked.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

LOL on the singing along. That is what I had to remind my then 6 year old not to do. But darn that Hakuna Matata is so catchy.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

Wicked is my number 1 show and Lion King second however with young children I would concur with others and suggest Disney's Lion King.

8. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 19:05
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

Hahaha!! You'll be glad that you couldn't. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 and 8 year old at a Broadway show? Okay or next time?

I don't know when you are going to be here but my great niece and nephew love Broadway (they've seen Mary Poppins and Annie) but they also really love TADA theater so depending on your budget this might be an addition or an instead of but their next show isn't until April.

https:/…performances.asp

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2011/05/kids-and-the…