We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Jersey to New York

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
New Jersey to New York

We are planning a trip to New Jersey to go to Carlo's Bakery. Silly to some I know, but that is the whole point of our trip. We are staying in the Poconos. We would like to spend a Saturday in New York. We want to ride the Staten Island Ferry and also visit Times Square. Possibly go to a Broadway Show. I have been reading so many post and I am really confused concerning best and cheapest routes. Best place to leave our car for the day in New Jersey.... How to get from Staten Island Ferry to Times Sqaure... Really, I am geographicly challenged. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Jersey to New York

You can take the subway up from the Staten Island Ferry to Times Sq.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Jersey to New York

The best place to leave your car would be at a PATH station in Hoboken and take the PATH to New York. I am not sure how near Carlo's Bakery is to a PATH station.

You can then take a subway everywhere. It is fast and much less expensive than a taxi. If you see a Broadway Show you will be in the heart of Times Square.

All you really need is a subway map to plan your excursion.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Jersey to New York

You have been helpful. Thank you!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Jersey to New York

I wouldn't try to park my car in Hoboken - it is a terrible place for parking. You might consider parking somewhere near the Harrison (NJ) PATH station (there are several paid lots and one can park on the streets if you know where to go) and take the PATH to Hoboken and then into NYC. Check the Port Authority of NY/NJ website for a map. The PATH is like a subway that runs between lower Manhattan and locations in NJ - you can even use your MetroCard for fares.

PS Carlo's is a short walk from the Hoboken PATH station and isn't worth the bother, IMO.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Jersey to New York

Any path station in nj is going to have terrible parking.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 23:47
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Jersey to New York

On a Saturday, you can use the NJ Transit bus Park and Ride in North Bergen, or the NJ Transit train station at Secaucus Junction. These are jammed on weekdays, but available on the weekend. Be sure to note the last two return trips from Port Authority or penn station, respectively..

Although I hate to recommend driving, if there are four or more of you, it might cost only a little more to park in Manhattan. If you avoid the theater district, there are some Saturday Early Bird parking specials ( in by ten, out by midnight.) Extra charge for SUV, etc.

7. Re: New Jersey to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 05:15