We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

HI all. My son is turning 12 the day after we arrive in NYC from Australia in September. He is super excited about waking up in NYC for his birthday and I really want to make it a special day for him however I obviously dont know how jetlagged we will all be. We were all hopeless on our last trip to the US in 2010 to Anaheim but I was fine on my one and only trip to NYC in 2006. I dont know if it has something to do with the West to east?? Anyway I dont want to book anything but we are staying at the Salisbury so I thought we might wander down 7th avenue to Toys R us, have a look around there, I believe I can get a birthday message to him on the board on Broadway. From there up to the Hershey and M&M store. I believe I can also get his name on the Hershey board and some personalised M&M's. Then across to Rockefeller for TOTR and the Nintendo store. Depending on the time and weather I thought we might try and hang around for the night time tour of TOTR too. Maybe if its not too late and were not too exhausted we might be able to fit in FAO schwarz somewhere too. He wants New york pizza for tea and I believe there is a decent pizzieria near The salisbury called Angelos so i think we will eat there. I know this is all touristy and man made but for a little boy who loves toys, chocolates and gaming I think it will be ok.

Does anyone have any other ideas or know where I can get a cake for him? Does columbus circle wholefoods sell cakes does anyone know? Thank you in advance for any input, its greatly appreciated

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

some threads on birthday cakes:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k127892-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1945011…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4523236…

NY
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

I would consider a trip to the Museum of Natural History over the toy stores. If you need to spend money on toys the Gifts shops there will allow you plenty of opportunities do so and there is so much stuff to see and do there even when your wallet is inside your pocket, I think it would make for a more exciting day.

Whole Foods will sell you any cake you want.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

There is also the Intrepid Air, Sea and Space Museum which can be very enriching for a 12 year old and he can experience a world beyond toys and sweets. www.intrepidmuseum.org.

Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

if your boy is onto Lego there is an amazing lego shop at the rockerfeller plaza...bought my lego mad boy a lego chess set here and he is over the moon...

think you have selected loads of ideas already and just being with him there on the day will be lovely enjoy

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

He is into Lego yes, so will def check that out thanks. Will find out some more ino re Air, sea space museum too. thank you.

Teacherfish, I should have said that we plan on going to the AMNH, hopefully the next day if we are all feeling up to it. We hope to put in a full day there, so when we ve paid quite a bit to get in for the 5 of us I dont want to have to leave early if we're all feeling too tired. Once we're on to New york time we will be busting to get there.

Thank you all for your advice .

NY
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

Ok- be aware of the admission policy of AMNH- it is suggested donation. You could actually pay $5 for admission for all five of you.- If you want to go to certain exhibits you do have to pay extra- but you could actually go the first day for an hour or two- see the dinosaurs and another free exhibit, walk over to Broadway and have some NY Pizza and then return to your hotel by walking through the park.. You could go back for a long day the next day and pay the big bucks . The weather should be pleasant in September and there should be lots going on in Central Park. (If you have less energy than the kids, you could sit on a park bench and allow then to run around- buy a Frisbee at the museum, or check out the Diana Ross playground right across from the museum). Those stores are open late so you could get there any time.

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

Thank you teacherfish. I was aware of the suggested donation policy however, I have seen tourists on this forum have strips torn off them for the mere suggestion of only paying the suggested donation. For that reason I hadnt even contemplated paying anything other than the recommended admission. And even at that price its obviously a cheap days entertainment. Your idea sounds lovely though and its one of the reasons I was keen to stay so close to central park, so we can do things like that if the kids get a bit overwhelmed or tired.

NY
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

Okay- I really don't have stake in you going to the Museum, I just would find your plans for the chocolate/toys store painful, Hershey's and M &Ms are relatively smallish and there is nothing to do there other than buy over-priced chocolate souvenirs. Toy R Us, has that Ferris Wheel which is not particularly fun for anyone over 5, and FAO Schwarz- is also one giant commercial.

Here is my thinking about the admission at AMNH. The argument, I think, is if you can afford to come visit NY and stay in a nice hotel you should be supporting the museum. If you plan to spend a day there and pay the full suggested donation you will be supporting the museum. Therefore if you sneak in a sneak preview the day before at a greatly reduced price,look around, figure out which pricey tickets you want to purchase the next day, and happen to buy presents at the gift shop as well, you have supported the museum. No one will say anything about you not paying two days of full ticket.

In my opinion, I would go to Whole Foods, buy chocolate and walk through the park eating it, rather than fight the crowds in Time Square. And if you don't there is plenty of junk food for sale in the park. Enjoy!

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

Thanks Teacherfish, Yes I believe that is the reason and I agree with it. I have really taken your comments on board and have been thinking that if we do pay full admission one day then I would feel much better about paying a lesser amount on another day .I did like the idea of getting a birthday message for him up in lights at either Toys r us or Hersheys, which I guess was one of the main reasons behind my thinking.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I very much appreciate it. I was also great to know we can buy a birthday cake from whole foods.

Thanks again. I hope to do a trip report, so will let you know what we end up doing.

Cheers.

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sons 12th Birthday on our first day in NYC

The other thing I should have mentioned is that his birthday is on a Saturday which I believe is one of the busiest days of the week at AMNH, thought if we got an early start on Sunday it may be quieter? Does it make much difference what day you go?