We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5days to go...... A few questions

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
5days to go...... A few questions

Hi guys, I've read an researched quite a bit and got my final plan just got a few questions and would welcome any links that could be of help:

Thur 28th-

Arrive at Newark 15:00

Take the Amtrak or airbus to penn station? Or is it the same? Staying in the New Yorker 8th ave.

After checking in and eating somewhere local would like to go to carolines comedy club- will this be sold out or could we just turn up or should pre-order tickets?

Friday 1st

Walk around times sq head towards Central Park and 5th ave (I know it's huge) but just generally explore or would anyone recommend doing a tour for this? If we pass will visit MOMA or NHM

Would like to catch jersey boys that evening (do you just have to queue at tkts booth? I have the app but don't understand when the tickets are on sale (is it just on the day of the show at a certain time?)

Saturday 2nd

Watch the Liverpool match in the 11th st bar (Lfc supporters bar NYC)

Head to woodbury common, How do I get there from where I am says no public transport on google maps, I've read there is a coach, where does this leave from? how regular are thy?

Sunday 2nd

Visit the tenement museum going to book the Irish your I think. Can I just do that at the gift shop? Walk the Brooklyn bridge and visit dumbo and maybe mocada

Going to see the Swedish house mafia in the Barclays center at 8pm picking up tickets at the venue via willcall, any info regarding this?

Monday

See Grand Central station (audio tour) how much is that? Is it worth it?

Radio city music hall (is this a tour or do you just look? maybe some more of Central Park

And head to Greenwich village got the evening.

We leave Tuesday.

Where going to do totr when we can with the weather being so unpredictable.

Thanks for the help and feel free to criticise my plans as any advice is welcomed.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

its the airtrain and nj transit you need

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

Book the Tenement Museum before hand on line...not hard and given your limited time it will avoid (1) missing out and/or (2) waiting around.....

Grand Central Terminal - the audio tour is $7 if you hire the listening device thingy from the booth at the Hall at the Terminal or $4 if you have a smart phone and download the audio to it...THE TOUR IS REALLY REALLY GOOD..hope you have time to listen to the 'extra bits' they are wonderful.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

scouse we booked the jersey boys off broadway box office i would book it over here if you want to see it plus it saves time in queing at the tks office in times square, we didnt go to woodbury common as it would have taken almost a day out of the city go to macys you wont go far wrong in there

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

Thanks, suppose it depends what your into, I'm 27 and my girls 23, her mate said there wasn't much in Macy's and Woodbury common was better, the shops that are in WC Are the brands I like eg true religion and Armani,thanks about the tenement museum just booked it now.

Well thanks for the advice about jersey boys its not that I'm determined to see that one, would enjoy any (especially a half price one haha) so do the tickets come out discounted on the day of the show? Can I get them on the app on he day of the show does anyone know?

Does anyone know about carolines?

Edited: 23 February 2013, 22:01
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

In regards to the TKTS tickets, my understanding is that you need to queue in person at one of the booths on the day. The app will just tell you what's on sale.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

And in regards to picking up your concert tickets via 'will call', you go to the venue box office with ID and the credit card used to book them.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

If you are planning Woodbury Commons, go on a week day. Saturday and Sundays, the place is mobbed! You can get the Coach USA bus out of Port authority bus terminal

…premiumoutlets.com/outlet/…directions

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

Good advice you've gotten. To summarize

You take the AirTrain from the airport and transfer to a NJ Transit train at the airport train station for a train to NYC Penn station. There's also a NEWARK Penn station and many make the mistake of getting off there hearing it's Penn staion. Stay on til you get to NYC. Your hotel is almost across from the station on 8th ave. There is an Amtrak train but that's more expensive. The trip will cost $12.50 for each of you for both the AirTrain with the NJ transit train

There are daily free walking tours of Central Park. Take a look on the official Central Park website to see what time and what area they'll be doing on the day you plan to go. Have a back up plan for this day if the weather doesn't cooperate. Whether you pass MOMA depends on how you walk. If you head to Fifth ave. from your hotel and walk north on Fifth ave. (so the street numbers get larger) MOMA is before you get to the south end of Central Park.

Btw,

maps.google.com

is really easy to use to figure out how to get from point a to point b Type the trip at the top and click the train icon on the upper left for subway directions or the person icon for walking directions (and estimated times for both)

http://goo.gl/maps/VBzkp

Hope you have warm layers to wear. (

Jersey Boys has been appearing at the TKTS booths lately but it's also on discount on the left column of

broadwaybox.com

You could print off the discount, bring it with you to NYC and take it to the box office when you arrive and buy discounted tickets for any night you want rather than having to do a same day thing at the TKTS booth and waiting in line.

I agree that Sat./Sun are the worst days to go to Woodbury and going after a football match sounds like a terrible idea. Btw, Macy's is right near your hotel and there are loads of shops along 34 st. You should have a look in Manhattan before deciding whether to go to Woodbury. It will take a whole day out of your trip. The ride is more than a hour in each direction. The buses leave from Port Authority bus terminal at 42 st. & 8th ave. If you plan to buy a lot, consider buying or bringing a rolling suitcase with you for purchases.

Agree you need to make reservations in advance online for whatever Tenement Museum tour you want, esp. on a Sunday. The building is small and it may sell out before you get there.

What info do you need about picking up tickets at the Barclay Center? Have you looked on their website?

There is a tour of Radio City and it's the only way to get inside unless you're going to a show or concert there. Info on their website.

You should have an idea in advance of what you plan to do in Greenwich Village, otherwise you could wind up walking around aimlessly.

cafewha.com

is fun. There's loads of good eating there including John's Pizzeria on Bleecker st. which is famous.

Have breakfast one morning at the Skylight Diner, not far from your hotel. The Tick Tock diner in the hotel is fine too.

menupages.com

has details.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

before you travel go on TKS website it will give you a good idea of whats discounted and the time the booths opened

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

Were you planning walking around Times Square during the day on Friday? It's best seen at night so if you're going to a Broadway show, why not walk around TS after the show?

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5days to go...... A few questions

Thanks man, I know why the call u NYwhizz. That has made the final tweaks to our trip. Thanks for the links too.

Kind regards