We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dessert walking tour

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dessert walking tour

I found a dessert walking tour tasting cupcakes in various bakeries. Has anyone been on this and can tell me is it worth doing

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dessert walking tour

Which tour is it? Do you have a link?

Cambridge, Md
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dessert walking tour

My opinion.....

Not worth full price if it is with New York tours.

I bought a Groupon months ago for the cupcake tour ($65 for 4 of us) which we did last Friday at 3pm.

The tour guide was great. It was a beautiful sunny day.

Cupcakes were "mimi". Magnolia Bakery (one of the stops was closed). Gelato was yummy and cookie at Milk & Cookies was delish.

Do your own "cupcake tour".

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dessert walking tour

It is with New York City tours. Link:

viator.com/tours/…d687-5277CUPC

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge, Md
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dessert walking tour

$50 per person!

NO WAY! Check out Groupon or Living Social.

They also have apps for Iphone.

I would not pay $50 per person.

You get 'little tiny cupcakes" at 2 places, 1 little spoon of Gelato, 1 nice size cookie. Magnolia bakery (supposedly) gives you a big cupcake, but they were "closed due to critters" last weekend. We were compensated with another "little bitty cupcake" for the inconvenience.

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dessert walking tour

I wouldn't pay for a tour, it's easy to research and go to bakeries that will be in the areas that you are visiting. My daughter and I have tried cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery, Cupcakes by Melissa, Crumbs, Bouland Bakery, Sarabeths and most recently our new favourite DC Cupcakes in Soho. Also if you are near Bloomingdales uptown a Macaron at Laduree is a must. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
SoHo
SoHo
3,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bloomingdale's
Bloomingdale's
768 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,326 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dessert walking tour

What booky says. It isnt as if any of these tours are taking you to underground spots you would never find on your own. I am amazed that people need to take a tour of Chelsea Market (but wish I had thought of the idea of leading them!)

The only decent food tour I've ever taken in NYC was one of Chinatown, where she did point out places I never knew existed and would never have found on my own. We ate our way through Chinatown.

Unlike another bad NYC food tour I took a couple of years ago, where we spent 2 hours carrying around food meant to be eaten immediately - then sat in a park and ate the mushy stuff. We never went into one place - just waited outside for the guide to come out with more bags to be carried around. I luckily got this for 1/2 price from Groupon - and went with the purposes of blogging about it, but it was so bad, I didn't.

suitcaseready.com

Mentioned in this post
Chelsea Market
Chelsea Market
7,962 Reviews
New York City, NY
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dessert walking tour

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with your recommendation and give it a miss.

8. Re: Dessert walking tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 05:17