We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Cards for a large group

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
966 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Cards for a large group

I am part of a group of about 50 that will want to make some use of the subway in a few weeks time. Having read up on the MTA site it looks like we will each need $10 worth pay per ride cards for 4 rides.

Is there any easy way to get the cards or do I have to stand at a machine and feed in 50 $10 dollar bills?

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

http://mta.info/metrocard/merchant_index.htm

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,073 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

It might be easier to find a store that sells Metro Cards and buy them there. This way you are not feeding money into a machine. Note: you can also share pay for ride cards, so you do not need one per person. Are you positive it is only 4 rides per person that you are going to need?

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
966 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

Thanks for this. We're going from Times Sq to Staten Island Ferry, 9/11 memorial and back to Grand Central / 42nd St, then ESB. We hopefully will only have to do the two longer trips by Subway but 4 rides would give us some options if it was really wet. However I agree topping up a lot of cards would be a pain if we needed more. How do I find a store that sells them - I am thinking I could go there the day before and order them maybe and then just hand over the $100 ? That would be good.

I was aware of the sharing option but this sounds a bit of a hassle with that many people so felt it simpler to give everyone their own card

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

So, If I understand you correctly, maybe you need 100 rides (50 people round trip), but maybe you need 200? I would buy 25 $10 cards in advance, and if the weather is bad I'd top them up (or buy more) at a machine so as not to waste $250 unnecessarily.

Where to buy Metrocards: tripplanner.mta.info/metrocardmerchants/

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
966 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

Thanks, I looked at the merchants and if I have read i correctly they only sell certain types of card eg $4.50, $21.03, 30 day unlimited. So I could just get 50 of the $4.50 ones and top up if we do more than the two rides

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

Please be sure to make sure everyone understands that "Please Swipe Again at This Turnstile" means exactly what it says. Otherwise they may lose a fare each time they move to another turnstile. This is a common problem, even for local car users.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

By the time you show up the price will have gone up.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
966 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

Hi ztaks, yes I'v e seen a pay per ride journey will now be $2.50 and also you will need to pay $1 for a new card although not if you buy from a merchant which will now I assume will charge $5 for a two journey card (although hopefully this can be topped up.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

The Magazine vendors at the airport ( hudson news etc. ) sell metro cards. We could not find a machine to sell them at the airport.

10. Re: Metro Cards for a large group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 06:17