We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech Hotel?

Iluka, New South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marrakech Hotel?

We recently booked the Marrakech Hotel for our trip in early June and I am not sure about the whole overview of this hotel. I did go on department of Buildings and it is still operating illegally but the reviews on the hotel on here suggest it is a suitable place to stay. We are not fussy on the size or quality of the hotel, we do not want to arrive to find the hotel closed. Is there any comments on this hotel that would clarify this? I am also open to other views on the hotel.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

if you're not fussy, why did you book an illegal hotel, you could have just slept on a park bench.

It is illegal, it has been operating for a very long time, however, it could get closed at any time.

Iluka, New South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

I was not aware that it was illegal until today and i booked the hotel a few weeks ago.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

It has NEVER been recommended on this forum as to the best of my knowledge it IS operating illegally.

I would cancel and rebook somewhere legal

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,480 posts
2,110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

I met people on my trip last year who booked that hotel. It was so bad according to them they left and found another one.

Iluka, New South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

This hotel has many mixed reviews on the hotels section of the website, with the majority of them stating that the accommodation is acceptable. I am not concerned with staying in luxury, if i was i would stay somewhere in my own country, its just a place to sleep. The reason for this thread was to find out what the situation is with the legal parameters of staying in said place.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,288 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

In the future just ask questions give your budget and dates and you will get a lot of help and not worry about illegal hotels or apts.

Level Contributor
888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

Not to sound rude but the fact that they could close at any time would deter me from booking with them, do you really want to risk arriving in NYC and not having any place to stay...just saying

New York City
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

The hotel is operating and has always been operating as a legal hotel. While zoning laws have changed over the past several years, the hotel is a legal hotel that has been open for almost 8 years. There is no risk this hotel will be closed. The city did close several hotels in 2011 but not the Marrakech Hotel on Broadway. If you follow up further through the finance and other departments in the city, you will in fact see the hotel is legally operating, paying taxes and has been properly inspected by the various city and government agencies.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

Jbrya61, did you decide to keep your reservations? If so, can you report back after your trip? I booked the Marrakech for mid July and have just found out about it possibly being illeagal. I am going to do more research because from internet searches so far I only find stories from 2009.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrakech Hotel?

Why take the risk?

It's your money I guess.