We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay with short commute to see sights?

michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
place to stay with short commute to see sights?

Family of two adults and 3 kids (age 14, 10, and 5) coming June 12-16

Looking for ideas as to places to stay with easy access via subway (prefer this over busses) to most major sights.

I read somewhere about Long Island City. Any other town that we can use subway to reach manhattan and it isn't too big of a pain?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

Terminology: Long Island City isn't a town, it's a neighborhood that's in New York City but outside Manhattan. Since the subway never leaves New York City, for subway access you'll be staying inside New York CIty.

What usually works best is if you give us your budget per night and bedding requirements. With five people, you'll have limited options: I believe the Country Inn and Suites is the only hotel in Long Island City that sleeps five. That said, sometimes there are hotels in Manhattan that fit the bill.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

Is it that you want easy access or do you want to save money?

If you want easy access, you could stay in the epicenter of Times Square with two rooms at the Marriott Marquis, but you may not want to spend that much money.

And New York has so many famous areas, that you can only stay in one of them at most. It is not like going to Indianapolis, for example.

michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

I am looking to save money by staying outside the main part of manhattan. That said, I do not want to have to walk 10 minutes, then catch a bus, then get on the subway. If I am going to be some distance out, I want the ride to and from to be relatively easy...

michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

would prefer to only have to get one room. Our youngest could sleep on a sofa if needed. Was targeting $300/nt.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

I'd vote for the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City, NJ. It's 1/3 mile from the Pavonia/Newport Station, which goes right to Macys in New York. They have suites.

I'd also suggest, in Long Island City, Queens, the Country Inn and Suites. It's 1/4 mile from the Queensboro Plaza Station of the N, Q, and 7 trains. It takes about 12 minutes to get to Times Square using any of those three trains.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

You do not want to stay in New Jersey. In fact, the above is exactly what you specifically said you do NOT want. You would always being taking two transit systems to go anyplace.

Long Island City is a good location. It is closer to some spots in Manhattan than some Manhattan hotels. Problem is--I do not know if you will find hotel rooms for 5 people.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

Well, technically, you could make it in one train from Jersey City. It would PATH train direct from Pavonia-Newport to 9th St, 14th st, 23 St or 33 St Manhattan. You could also get to World Trade Center area directly. However, you could not go north of 33rd St. without then taking the NYC subway and paying an additional fare. An advantage of the Long Island City hotel is you can get to any stop in Manhattan on the subway without changing systems.

I usually like a jersey City (or Hoboken) hotel because of the great views of Manhattan (its gorgeous at night) but many times (and this seems one of them) the Long Island City idea sounds generally more convenient and well priced.

But as rdglady says, maybe you can't find a large enough place in LIC, then maybe the NJ idea would work.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

Yes both hotels are called "Suites" for a reason: they have sleep sofas and multiple rooms in one suite.

9. Re: place to stay with short commute to see sights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:15