We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9/11 memorial

Cambs
Level Contributor
184 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
9/11 memorial

We are visiting New York this August and I have just reserved tickets to go to the 9/11 memorial site. Can anyone tell me if there will be a guided tour that we can join on the day please? Or do we need to book in advance?

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9/11 memorial

Your question will be easier to understand if you tell us the web site from which you reserved tickets. Although overseas IP addresses sometimes have trouble, most people have print at home admission tickets, free of charge, in their hands, before they come to NYC. The outdoor Memorial Site does not normally need a guide to figure it out. What exactly are your needs?

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9/11 memorial

I think this is the link to the tours most people suggest:

http://tributewtc.org/

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9/11 memorial

Thanks for that last tip, I was looking for this tour but couldn't find it. With our visit to NY, I think this is a must-see.

When you book a tour online I suppose you'll get a voucher or tickets to print at home?

Cambs
Level Contributor
184 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9/11 memorial

We got a print out voucher too., from the 9/11 memorial site.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9/11 memorial

If you got a voucher for the 9/11 Memorial site, that gets you access to the memorial area. We're you looking for a tour of the site?

There is a store there and also block or so north, both affiliated with the Memorial. We went to the latter, called the Preview Site, and it had some information and items on display. There isn't a tour at the memorial. Next to it, there is a beautiful NYFD memorial too.

We just got back from a visit to the memorial. Very moving. Purchased the book "102 Minutes," which was aming those at the Preview Site. Highly recommend the book.

Cambs
Level Contributor
184 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9/11 memorial

Hi, I have just had a look at the reviews on Amazon, very good reviews on this book. I have ordered it for myself.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9/11 memorial

Sorry for typos above. Touchscreen....

The book is very good, honors the memories of those who died and tells the story of those 102 minutes with detachment and respect.

It's a hard place to visit but the memorial is very tastefully done. The falling water cascading in droplets like so many tears, pooling below only to disappear into darkness...it evokes loss...the diversity of the names etched in the surface is striking. Like NYC itself, the Towers were full of people of every heritage. Sad place but important to honor the people lost and their families.

Someone on one of these boards talked about people taking inappropriately happy photos here. I only saw one, and it was tween-aged girls who didn't know any better. When I visited, it was pretty somber, as it should be. There are signs reminding people of this also, plenty of staff on hand.

Read the voucher re security. Pack light to make it easy.

Hope you have a good trip to NYC !

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9/11 memorial

Please visit St. Paul's while you are at the 9/11 Memorial. It is across the street and is a beautiful historic church--George Washington attended a service here right after his inauguration. The firemen and other workers used this church as a "home base' for the immediate days after the tragedy and the memorial there is touching and free.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9/11 memorial

Yes I agree that St Paul's is a must visit when visiting the 9/11 Memorial. The story about how they used Washington's Pew at the time of 9/11 was interesting. Seeing how close the church is to what is now an enormous construction site took my breath away when I walked through the church's back door to the grave yard.

PS I don't think you need a tour of the Memorial itself. There is a marvellous (and beautiful) brochure which explains the space. Look out for the tree...like St Paul's it is very special.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 06:35
10. Re: 9/11 memorial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 07:16