We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiting in line

D Y
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Waiting in line

Hi. I'm traveling to New York in early May and I was wondering if attractions such as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty (although I guess it will be only the cruise around the island since the island is closed) and the museums have long waiting lines for tickets and entrance during this time. Given that it should be before most US schools are out, I'm guessing the crowds won't be as bad. Is it worth getting packages such as New York City Pass or Go Select during this time? I have read in some of threads that the voucher line can be longer than the ticket line.

Which venues are better on weekdays vs weekends? Thanks.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waiting in line

My crystal ball is in the laundry but....

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2010/02/crowds-lines…

Queanbeyan...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waiting in line

You can buy tickets for the Empire State Building at the official website and for the statue of liberty cruises at theirs.

Of course it won't stop you having to wait to see the attraction but it will save on time buying the tickets

D Y
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waiting in line

Looking to into patterns more than guarantees. For instance, Disneyland is busier Fridays through Mondays. Less busy days would be Tuesdays through Thursdays. If I was to visit Los Angeles, I would visit Hollywood (free) on the weekend and Disneyland (way expensive) in the middle of the week. That is no guarantee for the Disneyland crowds, but it is a pattern seen by locals.

I don't really mind waiting in line myself, but my little kids have a harder time.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 04:24
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,830 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waiting in line

NYC is crowded with tourists. It gets more crowded when schools are out but it is never tourist free. Instead of the Empire State Building, consider Top of the Rock--great view, easier viewing area and less lines.

Passes are never recommended here. They are expensive and become the driving force of what you are doing. You should go places because you want to see them, not because they are included in a pass.

You mention little kids! How old? Depending upon their age it won't make much of a difference what they do and do not see.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waiting in line

Just a little lingo. Elsewhere in the world folks wait IN line. In NYC we usually say that we are ON line. Yes, there are some sites that will have lines, but others will be line free. There is no line for Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Greenwich Village, etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waiting in line

Whether to get a particular pass really depends on how long you're here and what YOU want to see. Most of the passes include things you don't really want to see and if you just tally up the entry fees of the things you DO want to see, it may not be much of a savings. There are free and pay as you wish options at many of the museums. The Go Select pass is more likely to have a savings, but it may not be much. The things to buy in advance:

>Empire State building (if you go) Tickets are not dated or timed so you can go whenever it suits you. There are aggressive touts on the street trying to sell express passes. Just say no! You still have to wait on line for the elevators, but at least you avoid the ticket buyers line. They open early and close late.

>Theater tickets to sell out shows like Wicked, Lion King and Book of Mormon

For other shows, look at the left column of

broadwaybox.com

for discounts in about a month or so.

>Reserve free passes to the 9/11 memorial at

911memorial.org

Early morning when things first open is always a good time for fewer crowds. Sunday morning is particularly good. Everything is more crowded on weekends except Wall st. and Grand Central terminal. Pay attention to open/close days for museums. Many museums close on Mondays. MOMA closes on Tuesdays instead.

7. Re: Waiting in line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 05:17