We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Topic
Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

I'm going to NYC alone for about 6 days the first week of May. I have a lot of the trip planned. Mostly a lot of typical tourist things. But besides that I have no idea what to do at nights alone. Any ideas? And is there anyway to meet people who are also tourists? Or should I just resign myself to being a lonely tourist?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

You will find that just going to places where other people go you will be chatting in no time. Waiting in queues, eating in restaurants, going to the theatre all mean you will be in contact with people who are available for a chat.

I found that eating in restaurants while sitting at the bar was a good way to have a conversation with people next to me or with the barman. You can get the same food as when sitting at a table in the restaurant. If you are too shy to start a conversation the person next to you will most likely start one.

Sitting in the theatre waiting for the show to start or during intermission means the people next to you might start conversation about the show.

Even in your hotel, there will be other tourists and hotel workers who will be friendly enough for a chat.

The only places I didn't really go to were bars for drinking. It's not really my thing to do that anyway so I don't have any tips for that.

NYC is a friendly city I found. Don't be worried about being alone.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

Being alone does not mean you have to be lonely.

If you would prefer to talk to/meet other people at night then some great suggestions are given above. Eating or drinking at the bar (rather than your own table) in eateries, eating or drinking in your hotel bar or restaurant, having breakfast at the hotel if it's offered/included, in the hotel lobby, standing in line at attractions, waiting for things to start or even just using the subway can all present opportunities to start up a conversation with someone.

If you're more concerned about what you can do on your own, don't be! You can still go to a restaurant or a bar, a Broadway show, a movie, a comedy show etc. at night on your own without anyone giving you a second look.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

We are a gregarious lot, provided that we are not on a mission like heading off to work. NYers like to strike up a conversation anywhere. My cousin met his wife on the R train.

NY has many single folks, so there is no stigma attached at doing things by yourself. But, all you have to do is had to any bar, especially if you have an accent, and folks will say hello. There are also restaurants that have communal tables. Here is a list: zagat.com/newyork/communal-tables-restaurants

C'mon over and make some new friends.

MEL

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6151705…

Going on tours during the day might put you in contact with some like minded people who you might want to meet in the evening.

freetoursbyfoot.com

noshwalks.com

foodsofny.com

are some options.

If you like jazz, the guy who runs

bigapplejazz.com

does good jazz tours in the evening.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

You could try

Meetup.com

Which comsists of groups organized by people who want to get together to share common interests. There are a lot of social groups that do things in the evenings; some charge a small fee.

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I've just got tickets to a Broadway show.

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

Thank you! I actually booked a food tour of the Greenwich Village last week, so it should be a good time.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

Which show out of interest?

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

Wicked! I heard it is very good. I may check out another show depending if I have time :)

10. Re: Going to NYC alone. Meeting people?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 07:35