We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

Hi we will be travelling from New York City to Niagara Falls, Ontario on 8th April, 2013 and we are keen to sit on a train and watch the outside scenery as the rest of our time in the usa is within 4 locations and to get from point a to b will be by plane. We thought going by train would let us see more countryside that we would otherwise have seen. Any experience you could share, as I'm starting to consider plane trip part of the way and train the rest or visa versa. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

Don't do it!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6183166…

If you want some scenery, take a day trip from NYC on another day to Dia Beacon or Cold Spring or Kykuit if it's open for some views up the Hudson but don't take the train to Buffalo. Long, tedious, often delayed and only good scenery for the few hour or two.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Beacon
Hotel Beacon
4,081 Reviews
New York City, NY
Kykuit
Kykuit
619 Reviews
Sleepy Hollow, NY
Hudson Hotel New York
Hudson Hotel New York
7,109 Reviews
New York City, NY
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Cambridge
Level Contributor
167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

Jet Blue Airlines usually has some good deals flying from JFK to Buffalo. I think I paid $79.00/person one way.

Mentioned in this post
South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

Hi Christine

Did the trip many years ago when the amtrak service left from Grand Central (circa 1988) and really enjoyed it. It was the best part of 9 hours from memory but enjoyable none the less.

It will all depend on how long you have in the states and do you want to spend a whole day of your vacation on the train - if it was me and I had the choice again, I think i'd still use the train just for the experiance

JB

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,234 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

Thanks for your responses. I am not sure if I can do 9 hours on the train, not matter how comfortable I can get it and not sure our 10 year old will cop the whole 9 hours. Thanks for the suggestions of the locations as it is hard to find out the route that the train takes and what is where? At these locations can you stop get out at the destination and walk to sites? I will also look on the internet to see what there is to see at these destinations. Sometimes it is hard to see from a map how far it is to places. Thanks again

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

No, you canNOT get out on the way and look at sites. The train only stops long enough for others to get onboard and then departs. The train ride between NYC and Albany is lovely and the tracks follow the Hudson River. After that, not so lovely. This is the train to Niagara Falls

http://www.amtrak.com/empire-service-train

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Hudson River Hotel
Hudson River Hotel
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

This is the map for the Metro North commuter train that you can use for a daytrip up the Hudson. What month are you coming?

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Mentioned in this post
Metro North
Metro North
169 Reviews
Princeton, NJ
Hudson Hotel New York
Hudson Hotel New York
7,109 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

Personally I think that while I sort of agree with nywhiz - I think the response is slightly on the extreme side.

For those of us Americans or those of us who have lived in America for an appreciable amount of time, nothing makes us shudder more than the thought of nine hours on that train.

When my partner had been in the States less than a year and really wanted to take the train one-way to Buffalo (we flew back) - we took the train up to Buffalo in the middle of winter.

I mentally prepared myself.

We enjoyed it.

The issue is that the train is slow and does get delayed.

It isn't dirty, you don't go without food and water, it isn't crowded and miserable. It is just slow and a tremendous waste of time ... but if you want to see the scenery and can do it in one direction and you're coming from Australia and think you might enjoy some countryside, I don't want you to be scared into thinking it is something you may not walk away from without post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Bear in mind, I've taken the Indian-Pacific from Sydney to Perth so I have a high tolerance for rail travel.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

>> Bear in mind, I've taken the Indian-Pacific from Sydney to Perth so I have a high tolerance for rail travel. <<

Good grief! Tolerance is an understatement. I won't even consider Syd>Mel by train. :-)

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from New York City to Niagara Falls

I'm fan of Amtrak and I agree with Whiz, you might want to rethink it. You will get great views up the Hudson River, but after you make the turn in Albany, it will pretty much be just the backs of buildings.

Also, with a 10 year old it could be brutal.

Mentioned in this post
Hudson River Hotel
Hudson River Hotel
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
Albany
Albany
New York
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews