We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone seen this play?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
806 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone seen this play?

Vanya and Sonya and Masha and Spike? It stars Sigourny Weaver and David Hyde Pearce. Trying to decide between that and Jersey Boys when we are in New York in May.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

No, but I'm a,MASSIVE Hyde pierce fan.

Where/when is it on?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
806 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

I got an email from Broadwaybox today. It says it is on from now until June 30th at the Golden Theatre. Take a look on the Broadway box website.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

We saw it in early January when it was on at Lincoln Center. We thought it was very very funny and very very clever and I wish I could see it again. I'd highly recommend it....David Hyde Pierce is fabulous, Sigourney Weaver is hysterical (if a bit OTT) and the other actors (particulary Kristine Neilsen in the third of the leading roles) are also very good.

If you want to laugh a LOT...see this play...you don't need to know Chekov to understand it....

PS just reread your OP,,,,we also loved Jersey Boys...this is a musical, the other is a play....I'd see BOTH again in a flash...

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
806 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

oh boy, this is going to be a tough choice to make

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

Vanya etc. is a lot of silly fun. We need more shows like that.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

shame im not in nyc till sept?

Jenny - by Chekov , you mean the russian from star trek, right? ;-)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

Duncan, I would not consider it a "tough choice" at all. Jersey Boys has been playing for YEARS, in many different places, and even though I enjoyed it, for the chance to see Sigourney Weaver (the most versatile actress ever) and DHP (who does not love Niles?) it is not even a close contest!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

BatteryParkNYC...hope you're not being facetious.... :-)

LMV......I'm not a 'Trekky' so don't know....and I haven't read the other Chekov but I still thought this play was marvellous and the ideas and jokes and stories are very 'gettable'

Oh I have to go back to NYC to see it again...they'll put it on here and stuff up the accents and it will not work.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

Not at all, Jenny. I like a dose of silly but not stupid humor from time to time. BTW I read a few of the Checkov plays before seeing it (I tend to over-prepare for things) which added a layer of interest.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
806 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone seen this play?

I think we're going to have to fit in both plays. Although Jersey Boys has been playing for years, this may be my only chance to see it, and it does look good. Maybe one matinee and one evening performance to break it up a bit. I should be able to get discount tix for Jersey Boys if I wait a bit, right?