We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
439 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

We are driving into the city. We will be coming into Brooklyn (for pizza) and then making our way into Manhattan. From this point, we'd like to go see the American Museum of Natural History. Should we just go park near our hotel and take the subway to the museum and consider our car parked for the duration of our trip or should we drive straight to the museum and find our hotel afterwards and park then? Or does it matter?

Thanks as always!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
American Museum of Natural History
American Museum of...
21,133 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

Where is your hotel? What day and time are you arriving? What direction will you be arriving from?

I wouldn't want to leave luggage in the car, so either way I'd want to drop it off at the hotel.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
439 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

Darn. Forgot to include that.

Hotel is Hampton Inn Times Square North.

Arriving this Friday- planning on having lunch in Brooklyn then making our way into Manhattan from the south.

Completely didn't think about the luggage aspect.

Mentioned in this post
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North
Hampton Inn...
5,841 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

Park near the hotel, leave the luggage, take the subway. Otherwise you're paying for expensive parking twice, and backtracking through midtown traffic.

Where in Brooklyn are you stopping?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

Make sure that all luggage is out of site when you park in Brooklyn. Also any papers that would give a clue that you are enroute to a hotel. Items should be placed in the trunk BEFORE you arrive at your parking spot. You do not open the trunk when your vehicle is parked.

This is street smarts for any city in the world. While break ins of vehicles is NOT common, if you are the one broken in to, it is irrelevant how many other cars are also burglarized.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
439 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

Makes all the sense in the world BrooklynBrdge. Thanks.

I was planning on Di Fara's and checking out the Promenade area- to see a Manhattan skyline view and possibly the Chocolate Room. Good ideas? Or do you have an alternative we should try instead?

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Skyline
Manhattan Skyline
18,110 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

As much as I love DiFara's, you'll likely be on line for an hour or more, and I don't believe in standing on line for pizza.

I wouldn't drive to the promenade either. Street parking is impossible in Brooklyn Heights, and I wouldn't put the car in a lot (which will also be expensive) with luggage. I say go to the hotel first without stopping, and start your vacation once you're there.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Heights
Brooklyn Heights
630 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
439 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

Thanks BrooklynB!

8. Re: Driving into the city. Park first or drive to museum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 05:16