We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

Cramlington, England
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

Hi there,

I need some expert guidance here! I'm wanting to travel from the UK to NY to see some tennis during the first week of the US Open. I don't know where to start in organising this! I have a number of questions - how do I get a single day ticket? where is the best place to stay? (my husband is a keen photographer/art buff so that is important to bear in mind). Any other facts/information would be appreciated coz I'm a complete novice in organising a long distance trip. I haven't even started to look at flights yet!! Many thanks everyone. Janetennis x

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

TIckets are relatively easy to get for the US Open. However, be aware that they can get expensive. There are many different plans available and many options. There are packages that are available and you can go online at

usopen.org

to get more info.

As far as individual tickets are concerned, the general public tickets go on sale sometime in June. However, in years past, they had a presale for USTA members (I think it was in April) - in the past when you bought your tickets via the USTA presale, they also gave you access to the US Open Club restaurant which is a nice sit down restaurant in Ashe. Much better than the food court crap that they serve. Also, they used to have an American Express presale just before tickets went on sale to the general public.

As for what seats to get - I recommend getting the grounds pass if you're going early in the tournament. This allows you to see any and all matches outside of Ashe Stadium, including Grandstand and Louis Armstrong. They also have reserved seats at Louis Armstrong which are good seats for a bit more. Unless you're getting tickets late in the tournament, personally, I'd stay away from the Ashe tickets - those seats are waaaaaay up there (unless you want to pay BIG bucks) and you're better off seeing those matches on the huge screens outside.

Anyway, good luck and hoped this helped.

Cramlington, England
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply daninny, sounds like the ground pass is the way to go as I'd like to go either the first or second day of the tournament. Cramtennis

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

Great advice

Also a night session is well worth doing

Cramlington, England
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

Can you buy tickets for a day session and a night session separately? All I've seen so far are packages. Does anyone know whether there are complete packages available (flights/accom/tickets) from the UK?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

Yes you can buy seperately.

I wouldn't buy a package as not good value for money

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

I second the suggestion for a grounds pass..... definitely the best deal going..... We generally enjoy night sessions that first week of the tournament as well, but you can sometimes be stuck outside the venue waiting for the Center Court match to finish if you have evening tickets.... not a good experience.....Do not go for a package..... tickets can be available on secondary market since so many companies have the tickets sewn up. I have gotten tickets as a USTA member of the first day, the first HOUR they were open to buy and still had nosebleed seats..... our best seats ever were the year we bought them on Ebay from a box seat owner.....

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

There's a difference between, let's say the night session and ground passes. The ground pass is good, especially early in the tournament because you can see every court except Ashe. You will see a lot of players - usually a notch or two below the top tier and you will see them up close - real close. And there are a lot of matches to see. Also, when you get the ground pass, you can enter at the beginning of the day - just before the first matches and stay all day.

Just as an aside, I remember a few years ago when we went. We bought Louis Armstrong tickets - these are the same as ground passes except you get reserved seats in Armstrong. Anyway, that year, it rained a lot in the beginning so a lot of matches got pushed back and crammed into the later days. We arrived at 10:30 am and stayed all day. We watched Jankovic win her match at 11:15 pm! Verdasco's match had started about 10 minutes prior in the Grandstand. My son wanted to stay and watch that match also. That's when I put my foot down and said enough - besides, the last shuttle to the parking lot was at midnight.

You'll have a great time. Enjoy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

we got some pretty good seats by just going on ticketmaster.com when they came on sale

Saw Fed, Williams and someone else in the day and Roddick v Sock the following night

It was my first time at a grand slam - highly recommended. VERY well organised.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

If you are *really* going there for the tennis, I recommend getting tickets for as late into the first week as possible.

Round 1 matches tend to be walkovers. Tennis is much more exciting to watch when there is a hint of competition. :-)

New York City
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visit to NY for the US Open 2013

I Met Venus Williams at the US Open a few years ago.

There are usually autograph sessions and chances to meet some of the bigger stars.