We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Amish crafts

Narre Warren
4 posts
Save Topic
Authentic Amish crafts

I am travelling to NYC in January and am very interested in Amish crafts, particularly quilts. Am not really comfortable about a day trip to 'look at people' and am wondering whethe there are any places in NYC where I can but authentic items. I have seen that there is an Amish Farmers Market at Battery Park but am unsure whether it is just food items that would be sold there.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

Sorry - but the best advice is to take a day trip down to Lancaster PA. Authentic Amish crafts and food from where they are made.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

I do not know anything about the Amish Market that you refer to but beware that people who are not Amish use the name for advertising purposes. I can't see true Amish having a regular market in NYC.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

"Amish Market" is just the name of a small local chain of grocery stores in New York City. There is absolutely nothing Amish about it.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

Lancaster County is not a convenient daytrip. Although there is train service to Lancaster City you will need a car to get out in the country where the most authentic quilt shops are.

There are bus tours, but they will go to the most touristy places and you will have maybe 20 minutes at each stop to shop.

If you really want to do this I can reccomend some Band B 's(which will be quite reasonable in January) In addition I can reccomend some quilt/craft shops. One caveat is that it is possible some will be closed in January(Its the least busy season, so you may need to call-even the Amish places will have phone numbers where you can leave a message)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

I have absolutely zero idea whether this is truly authentic - I just did a google search out of curiosity and a few places come up, such as this one:

http://handmadeamishquilts.com

Supposedly from Lancaster County - again, I have no personal knowledge of this place.

Just a thought - (I imagined there would be none but seems everything is really online)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

Lancaster PA is known for the Amish, though you can find Amish people in upstate NY, Ohio, etc. I've been through Lancaster and it's really beautiful country--gorgeous rolling hills, farms, and yes, Amish people in buggies and working in the fields.

There are lots of roadside places to buy "real" Amish stuff. (Do "real" Amish sell stuff online? I don't know). There are also lots of places to eat, diner-type, seasonal farm stands, baked goods for sale.

NIce place to visit. Not particularly close to NYC though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

There is no "Amish Farmers Market" at Battery Park. There is a small farmer's market at the Staten Island Ferry terminal, and an Amish Market deli/grocery on Battery Place, which is part of a chain. There are Amish people who come to some of the other farmer's markets (Union Square, Greenwich street), but they are selling pickles and pretzels and such, not quilts.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

NYC is not the place for Amish anything. Quilts, yes. City Quilter(store) and this gallery http://www.artquiltgallerynyc.com/The_ArtQuilt_Gallery_NYC/Contact_+_Hours.html

The Craft Museum may have some on display. Judi Boisson used to have a shop with both new and antique quilts and occasionally had some aamish ones, but she now just sells online

Judiboisson.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

quilterstravelcompanion.com/quilt-shows/new-…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Authentic Amish crafts

Good short article that gives an idea of prices.

quiltingtipstricks.com/collecting-amish-quil…