We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol prices in NYC

Bath
Level Contributor
47 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol prices in NYC

Hi All

Was wondering what the average price of a pint of beer would cost me in NYC. I prefer good old ales to the fizzy rubbish we generally get in the UK. Where would be the best bar to go for good ales, guinness and bar lunches. Also what good ales are on tap at the moment in NYC. Whats the good ones to look out for.

Cheers from an ale lover

Phil

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

A pint of beer is generally around $6. You can find it for $4 during happy hours, you can find it for $8 at upscale pubs, the average is $6.

Right here near where I am right now you would probably like the Churchill (28th and Park) or the Waterfront Ale House (30th and 2nd) but there are good pubs in every neighborhood. For instance, I can recommend some terrific Irish places in Sunnyside. Are there any neighborhoods you're considering?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

I would also encourage you to seek out the great local beers, rather than the likes of Guiness

East Village, New...
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

New York City Brewers

newyorkcitybrewersguild.com/members/…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

I was paying around $6 for great local beers. Happy hour normally $5... Found Alesmith Speedway Stout for $8 in Brooklyn... Once you drink Speedway Stout, you'll never want Guinness again!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

If you venture into Brooklyn, there is the 4th Avenue Pub:

76 4th Avenue

Bklyn, NY 11217

(though the don't serve food.)

I also like O'Reillys. Good food and atmpsohere:

www.oreillysbar.com/oreillynew/home.php

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

Where did you find Alesmith Stout Mark?

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

Check out The Beer Authority, Rattle n'Hum and the Pony Bar for the best craft beers in Manhattan. Also the Heartland Brewery at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Doncaster, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

On our visit in Feb we went to Chelsea brewery company at Chelsea Piers - real ale brewed on the premisis and we also had a good night at the Brooklyn Brewery tour ( book online)

Bath
Level Contributor
47 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

Thanks for all the messages and tips guys. Its much appreciated. Cant wait to get out there and start sampling the local brews.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol prices in NYC

Whiz - In a bar in Park Slope. Can't remember the name and I'm one mobile right now. Mel posted it in my trip report!