We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which NYC Airport?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Which NYC Airport?

We will be travelling by train from DC to NYC and staying in Long Island City. A week later we need to fly to Los Angeles to catch our international flight back home.

At the moment have not booked flights NYC to LAX. Need some help in working out which of the airports would be the closest and easist to get to from LIC , probably by taxi or car service . Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which NYC Airport?

LGA is the closest then JFK then Newark

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which NYC Airport?

LGA and JFK are both in Queens, as is LIC. As was pointed out, LGA is closer. Your hotel will arrange a car service to pick you up and take you to the airport.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which NYC Airport?

May be better to arrange a car service with Carmel limo, Dial 7 etc. rather than have the hotel do it. They tend to add a premium. Pay the driver at the end of the ride.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which NYC Airport?

When I look on kayak.com I only see non-stops from JFK or EWR. I would only use EWR as a last resort. From L.I.C., JFK much more convenient.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which NYC Airport?

I prefer the subway and JFK is easy from LIC

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,331 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which NYC Airport?

Jet Blue flies non stop to LAX. They must be booked directly, but they are an excellent airline. They also do not show up in many search engines.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which NYC Airport?

I've flown NYC to LAX and flew out of JFK. I usually prefer LGA because, when I'm staying in the city, it's closer, but that's not an issue for you. I'd be happy with a JFK departure, but I wouldn't do EWE. You have to cross the river, and depending upon when you are traveling, things can get complicated. A train to EWE might be possible, but a car is so simple. It sounds like you have a lot of travel ahead of you, so treat yourself...do it the easy way. I, too recommend Dail 7 or Carmel and here are their links:

http://www.carmellimo.com/Rates.shtml

http://www.dial7.com/transportation_rates_NY

BTW, if you are flying out of LAX on the same day as your arrival from NY, I would really try to book a single ticket or at least, book on the same airline or one of its partners. Separate tickets JetBlue (that I agree is a good airline) and something else could be problematic if something goes wrong on the first leg or your trip Miss that connection on separate tickets, and you could be toast. On separte tickets, the airlines don't have to rebook your second leg. If you are going to have an overnight in LA, however, youll be okay. On separate tickets, I like an overnight, but then, I err on the side of caution.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which NYC Airport?

Thank you all for your suggestions. Our flight from Lax to Australia doesn't leave till just before midnight, so have plenty of time to get to LAX from NYC. Only interested in direct non stop flights. Maybe best option is to pick an airline with lots of flights scheduled in a day just in case of delay of some sorts.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which NYC Airport?

You should look at JFK as there are no non-stop flights from LaGuardia to LAX. Consider Newark as an alternative only if the airfare is significantly less than JFK as any savings may very well be taken up by the time and cost involved in getting there from LIC.

10. Re: Which NYC Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:15