We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Italy & Chinatown

Milwaukee...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Little Italy & Chinatown

Hello, I'm planning a trip to New York for my wive's 30th Birthday and one thing she wants to see is Little Italy & Chinatown.

I don't know too much, so figured easy enough to ask; is there a good/bad time to go? Based on everything else we're planning, we're thinking of going to Little Italy/Chinatown either on a Thursday or Friday night or Saturday morning.

Are things open at night? Is it worth even seeing at night? How early Saturday morning does stuff start opening? Is there a best option?

Thanks for your help!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

Littly Italty isnt really Italian any more and has been taken over by Chinatown

What exactly do you want to see?

Milwaukee...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

We're being Tourists and just want to see it and say we've been there. Wife likes shops if they're open. If food/drink places are open too that's about it. Just don't know if most resterants or shops in the area open Saturday morning or if they close Thursday or Friday around 5:00 or if they stay open late.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

Try Saturday morning...

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

Sat morning is a great time to walk around Chinatown and see all of the fruit/veggie/fish stands and stores selling their products. Little Italy is now about 2-3 blocks long.

On a Sat morning, things get going early. You can take a walk through there at 8am if you wish.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

one of my favorite things would be to travel to Brooklyn and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. You'll be facing the Manhattan skyline withboats coming in under the bridge, and you get a real feel for what is the commerce of New York City. Just so you know, you will walk across an elevated platform in the center of the bridge with cars bussing by. For some people, this is uncomfortable, but I love it and "edges" (vs. "heights") are not my thing.

When you get off the bridge, you will be near Chinatown, and for Dim Sum, Dim Sum Go Go is one of my "musts" when I'm in the city:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d48…

If I'm right that "Little Italy" is adjacent to NoHo (Bowery and Houston) and SoHo/Tribecca (West Broadway/Spring/Prince/Gramercy is my favorite area), it's still a fun part of town and where I like spending my time.

I use HopStop when I'm in town and like any GPS, it's not perfect, but it works for me. If you've ever used a GPS in your hometown, you'll know what I mean. HopStop identifies your location, directs to you the nearest subway or bus stop and onto your next destination. I like it, and while there are always alternative routes, HopStop has not let me down. I get where I want to go. I'm a traveler, and this app makes getting around on my own less intimidating. :

http://newyork.hopstop.com/

Edited: 13 March 2013, 18:46
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

I agree..... Hop Stop a must for getting around.... The markets are the best part of Chinatown.... there are some bakeries left of Little Italy and a few restaurants... but not much else.... I posted some photos of our tour of Chinatown and the Lower East Side (Big Onion Tours) ... a great way to know what you are looking at!

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a great trip....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

there isnt much shopping in Little Italy other than souvenir shops - or Chinese grocery stores. If you head northeast into NoLita, your wife will find great shops. There's also a market that sets up in front of a church there on Saturdays with small designers selling their own jewelry, tshirts and handbags.

In Chinatown the shopping is similar. Chinese food goods and cookware, souvenirs with Chinese flair (lanterns, dragons, paper goods), or a lot of cheap jewelry that does or doesnt resemble designer models, and handbags that sort of resemble designer bags for those who dont want to buy blatant counterfeits.

There is some hipster element to the far east part of Chinatown around Division Street but the 1 or 2 clothing stores that were there are gone - there is a dusty place that sells MBT and other high end orthopedic type shoes on Division Street.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 13 March 2013, 23:51
8. Re: Little Italy & Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 04:17