We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

If you were only going to do it once, do you think it's better during the day or at night?

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

With out a doubt during the day.

Bring a pair of binoculars if you can.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

I've seen people say they prefer it at night to see the city's lights but personally I'd second the daytime suggestion - clearer views and photos.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

It depends on what you want, and of course you might do both. In the day you get a full view of the skyline and you see how large and how many buildings there are. Also depending on time of day, there is more "business" both on the ferry and in the city. At night you get something more magical and romantic. You get lights of buildings and lights reflected off the water and a real spectacle. I personally prefer the night but that's for the atmosphere and mood of it, not the extent of the view.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

I prefer day, too. Here's a guide to what's in the harbor- statenislandmuseum.org/images/uploads/files/…

Adding, that I prefer the night time view from Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 13:15
Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

We went at night after a concert, left the day free for other stuff and had done the 3 hour circle line ferry trip in the day, it was quiet at night and a very warm night so lovely to get a bit of a breeze and see all the lights.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

Why not get the best of both worlds and leave Manhattan shortly before sunset and return after nightfall?

staten island
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

If you do what Numbers56 suggests, you can have dinner at any restaurant within a block or 2 from the ferry terminal. Here are some suggestions-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g48682-d11…

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Pub grub- tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Or, Pier 76 for pizza.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

Thanks for the replies. That's a great suggestion - why didn't I think of that! Best of both worlds. Thanks for the links georgia, I'll check those out.

When we're there sunset will be around 7pm; if we were to get the ferry over to SI around 6pm, would it be very busy with commuters at that time? (would be on a weekday)

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

Number 56 idea is the winner.

Ferry will be crowed that is rush hour.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staten Island Ferry during the day or at night?

Does it get crowded during rush-hour to the point that we'd have trouble getting a good view and taking photos?