We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

pune
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

I'm taking the taketours trip and getting on at 48 Bowery, New York. I think that is China Town.I will be getting dropped off at the GWB station. Need to find out what subway train to take to get to 48 Bowery well before 8.15 am (Monday in May) which is the time for tour departure.

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,223 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

1) I have no idea what the taketours trip is, but if it's leaving from Chinatown, it's likely on a Chinatown bus which are notorious for being unsafe with unsafe drivers.

2) The GWB I'm assuming is the George Washington Bridge. There is no subway station there but there is a bus station. The nearest subway station, according to Google maps is a 5 min. walk and I'm not sure that's a safe area to be walking. I don't know who's dropping you there, but it's a lousy place to be let off.

Here's a link to travel options from google maps. All the numbers are different subway lines. Perhaps someone else with more on the ground knowledge of that area can weigh in on safety and practicality of this plan.

http://goo.gl/maps/ek4kI

Mentioned in this post
George Washington Bridge
George Washington Bridge
345 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

The 175th Street A train station is directly connected to that bus station; you don't have to go outside into the neighborhood. Take the A train downtown to 59th Street and there switch for the D train, following on the same platform, to Grand Street.

However, as nywhiz says, that tour sounds really shady. Many of the companies down there are known for poor quality drivers, unsafe buses, and "tours" where the "tour guide" hardly speaks any English.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

Anything leaving from 48 Bowery is a huge red flag to me.

Why are you going to be at the George Washington Bridge? Is that what you mean by GWB?

The 175th Street station on the A train is connected to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal. That is fine - even if you have to do it at 6:30AM - perfectly fine.

Mentioned in this post
George Washington Bridge
George Washington Bridge
345 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

You're from Pune.

The tour companies who operate out of 48 Bowery are the US equivalent of the guys with rickshaws who sit outside of any Indian train station waiting for wide-eyed NRIs or white people to get off the train and saying, "you want tour? you want tour? all the sights," and then "my cousin has beautiful carpet shop, very low price."

Just like in India, go with reputable, large, national, city-center tour companies, not these dudes.

pune
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

LOL!!! Well I read the reviews of taketours.com, and they seemed pretty ok, so thought I'd take one of those to Niagara.

pune
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

and yes I did mean the 175th street station.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

You know it is very easy to create fake reviews? Yes?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

OMG - Whatever you do, do not do a tour from 48 Bowery to Niagara - this will be the biggest nightmare you ever come to regret.

Do not do it.

Purchase a roundtrip plane ticket on jetBlue from JFK Airport to Buffalo. Do not take some horrible bus to Niagara Falls from Chinatown - don't do it.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

Please don't do this. Please. We want you to love New York, not go home with a horror story.

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from GWB subway to 48 Bowery

FYI ~

huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/chinatown-bus-…